Hidden staves

Hi,

I’m working on a huge orchestral score and encountered a problem with hidden staves for divisi. In the attached screenshots the “broken” divisi starts in bar 23. I can see it in Galley View but in Page View it only shows the 1 and 2 parts… What can I do to fix this?

What is there to fix? And why do your CB1 and CB2 play exactly the same ? It looks like unison to me… Can you elaborate what you are trying to do? Just so you know, Dorico will start the divisi at the prior system break, rewriting the music for both divisi parts where it’s unison. Only galley view has that “cut-away score” looks, in order for the user to enter the music accurately.
Have you made a divisi into a divisi section? That might be your problem here. I would stop the first divisi before making a new divisi with three groups, but maybe I’m wrong. Nevertheless, if everybody plays the same music, this makes no sense.

What can I do to fix this?

Move the divisi marker to the beginning of the system.

Thanks for replies!

They are playing the same notes but I want them to enter one after another to get a spatial effect so the notes are the same but every next CB start to play them later.

What do you mean by that? Restore unison? Or is there another way of “ending” divisi?

It partly helped but this doesn’t make sense to me. The divisi should appear exactly where it begins not couple bars earlier…

It partly helped but this doesn’t make sense to me. The divisi should appear exactly where it begins not couple bars earlier…
[/quote]

Except for cut out contemporary scores, the editors practice is to start a divisi at the beginning of the staves, even if that means including bars that are in fact in unisson

If you don’t want the third basses to enter before, you actually NEED to create the correct divisi a 3 at wherever this section starts.
As written now, the whole bass section would play a divisi a2, and then switch to a divisi a3, but there will be no staggered entering.

Then your notation is wrong. You should start the divisi with the exact number of groups since the beginning of the split, where some cb will play, and all the others have rests. Otherwise, how would they know that they are not supposed to play?
You are right, I meant restore divisi, at the exact same point where you would create another divisi with mire groups.
In this case, you could either have one divisi in three groups, or a first divisi with cb1 and gli altri (rests) and then restore divisi and new divisi (cb1, 2 and 3)
Not sure which one would be the more practical.

Edit : klafkid was faster

Thanks for reply. It’s stated in the legend that CB1 stays for player 1, CB2 for player 2, etc. It’s 6 CB total. Is there point of creating 6 staves where 5 of them would have rests?

Dorico doesn’t have “cutaway staves,” so in Page view each staff is the full width of the page.

Dorico can change between divisi and unison in the middle of a system by copying the unisoni music to fill up the divisi staves.

But it can’t change between two divisis with different numbers of staves, because it doesn’t know what music (or rests) to copy onto each staff.

So as rkrentzman said, the easiest work round is to put a system break at the same place as the divisi change.

Instead of using divisi, you could create 6 solo CB players (not section players) and use condensing to reduce the number of staves in the score (and in the parts as well if you want). There is an option to hide empty staves automatically. Then, there would be no ambiguity about what each instrument plays.

1 Like

Of course there is ! Don’t think full score, think parts! In your full score, you can condense 2-6 as one staff with rests. But your players will NEED to have the rest, won’t they ?

1 Like

Never thought about it! Thanks :slight_smile:

That’s what I’m gonna do!

Thanks guys! You’re the best!

1 Like