hide empty staves menu

what is this command? I can’t find it in the “Key Commands” selection…

You can find the Add Staff Above/Below commands in the Edit menu, or when you control-click on a staff.

Where were you looking?

A note, on section players you need to instead create a Divisi that you can then hide with the hide Staff command, the create staff below doesn’t work…

I was looking for “hide staff”

It’s under Remove Staff (but don’t worry, it doesn’t actually remove it, just hides it)

Aha! cool - and how do I un-hide it? At a later point?

Oh I see – by “add staff” again… and all the music I hid on the “removed” staff magically came back.
NEAT!
Hmm – this could be the beginning of making cutoff scores, don’t you think?

I wish there was a way to “remove staff” for only a selected amount of bars – now pressing “remove staff” removes it until the end of the flow and you have to pop it back in with “add staff [above/below]” when you need it again.

Yeah, it’s a great feature! It makes working with keyswitches a breeze…! I seem to recall that you can just hide a few as long as the bars have some notation on them, but I think you have to do it backwards e.g. if you have something in bar 3, nothing on 4 and something on 5, I think you can hide 5 leaving 3 visible…

Alternatively, which is what I do, I leave it visible until I’m done with the score… Unless it’s a big orchestral score, then I do remove it…

thoroughly confused by your instructions, sorry! …

I’m terribly sorry, you’re correct! This is what I mean:
Hiding staves.gif

I’m still not quite processing - how are you doing all of that, and so quickly? Thank you!

Ok, so if you go into preferences > key commands look for add staff below and assign it the K key, then look for remove staff and assign it Ctrl+K, now all you need to do is click anywhere on a staff and you’ll be able to toggle the staff below with the commands above (they don’t need to be K, it’s just a suggestion).

But as we’ve said before, unfortunately this method doesn’t work for section instruments/players. For them you need to change divisi instead, but you can remove them in the same manner.

OK awesome - but one thing I can’t seem to do, which you appear to do in the gif, is to select a measure and have ONLY that measure disappear when you select “remove staff”. When I press “remove staff”< that measure – and everything to the right of it - disappears.

Yes, as you can see from the gif the condition is that there’s something (notes, rhythms) after the selected bar, if there’s nothing then everything will be hidden. In the gif you can see that if I select Bar 2 I can hide just that because Bar 3 has a notes in it. I have not experimented with using force duration and adding just rests, perhaps you could try it…

That’s not how it’s working for me – if I select a measure and there’s music in the following bar, the music of the following bar is also removed until the end of the flow.

I wonder if this is a MAC / PC issue?
I’m on a MAC>

Oh! Yeah maybe, I’m on PC…

Hi!

I have a different problem - it adds a “-1 staff” pink box but the measure does not disappear.

Did You found the solution?

I see this had been replied elsewhere, yes?

Not really :frowning: