Hide instrument doublings not used in flow

My solution has been to create another 5 players for the saxophone section doublings (for example 2 fl, 2 cl, b. cl). Then when you are finished, just drag the instruments to the correct saxophone players and you are done!

1 Like

Yes that’s one way to do it… but I wish the flute didn’t appear in the middle of the saxes in the first place, that looks kind of random to me :slight_smile:

Yes, the more instruments you have the messier it gets. I had this one project where saxophones only were like 15 to 20 staves, so I had to come up with some kind of system to organize the instruments :smiley:

1 Like

Oh and you can also try to make a layout with page size that kind of matches the galley view. That way you can work in page view with only five saxophones visible but it kind of looks like galley view with page breaks only here and there.

So for example horizontal A3 and a relatively small staff size. Or even wider, why not? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also would like to be able to hide doublings in gallery view!

This is already possible in dorico 4 with instrument filters.

Yes, but unfortunately I can’t move a note from one staff to the next (i.e. from flute to oboe) without going through the hidden bass flute. This also doesn’t work in parts or in page view because as there might be nothing in the oboe part so far it doesn’t show in page view.

This has already been requested :wink:

A partial solution could be as follows (applied to BWV 1068, Orchestral suite No.3):

Problem:

• In flow 1 (Ouverture), 2 oboes and 2 violins play different parts, no condensing needed.
  • In flow 3 (Gavotte); 2 oboes and violin I play the same notes in bars 1-26, condensing is preferred; in the second gavotte, part of the same flow, 2 oboes and 2 violins play different parts, no condensing needed.
  • In flow 4 (Bourrée) and 5 (Gigue), 2 oboes and violin I play the same notes, condensing is preferred.

A way to solve this could be:

• create 4 violin players
  • rename the last two as oboe 1 and oboe 2
  • in Setup, position them now in the right order: oboe 1, oboe 2, violin 1, violin 2

Now you can condense manually any combination of these four instruments.

But this trick doesn’t work straightforwardly if you want to condense the violoncello together with the left hand of the harpsichord for the basso continuo. A trick might be: create a second harpsichord, rename it to violoncello, hide manually the right hand stave, and position it in the correct order on the score.

Or is there a new functionality in Dorico 4 that I didn’t discover yet, and that solves this problem?

The tricks works for oboes + violins, not for two cembalos:

In the image above, the two Oboes are two fake violins. That’s why I could make a custom condensing group with these 4 instruments. The two harpsichords however do not appear as condensable instruments.

Correction: the trick doesn’t work properly.
This is what I see, left in Galley view, right in Page mode:
image image

Sorry for giving false hopes…