hide one staff of multi-staff system

Also, if an object can be sufficiently isolated (like the initial 16th rest), I’ve found that covering it up, e.g. with a small piece of text (explicitly chosing white text and white background before typing) also works in print mode…

For the bug with vibe-marimba (with marimba as one staff, not Grand staff) creating, on one page of score, a line of vibraphone without measure numbers or bar lines (my score, page 4):

I found that entering a 4/4 and a note in the second bar of the bad vibraphone staff and removing both somehow fixed the problem.

HOWEVER: another bug shows up elsewhere. Here, and in a few other places, the vibe/marimba part will not collapse some of the empty measures into multi-measure rests. That was true before I “fixed” the bad staff, and those vibraphone measures really are empty.

Ultimately, it would be great to have control over what shows as multi-measure rests and what doesn’t. Cues, when instituted, will be connected to that. I hope that we have control over that? This is my years-of-Finale-using speaking: I’ve never found an algorithm that is always right in every instance of every score for when multi-measure rests appear. It is been crucial in Finale that we can break/create/override Finale’s default decisions.

David Froom

Obviously a bug, but another finding: When “refreshing” the barlines at the start of bar 24 and 38 (select the barlines, select another barline type from the panel, then reset back to simple) both the issue on page 4 and the missing multimeasure rests in the part seem to get fixed.

Maybe you didn’t notice, but the workaround of changing a barline to some other type and then back puts in a signpost (and those will print if “view options” is selected – and “view options” MUST be selected to hide transparent rests).

Even more odd, it causes the whole empty vibe/marimba staff to disappear from the score in that system, even though I want empty staves to display (and for the other instruments, they do display.

There is something a little wacky going on in the GrandStaff override. This whole problem started because I want marimba (designated as a GS instrument) to be a single staff instrument in this score. And I wanted vibraphone and marimba to be a single part, switching back and forth.

I have every confidence that all of this eventually will be fixed. I hope the experimentation we all are doing helps locate the source of the odd behaviors.

David Froom

Quite agree, but one thing, the signposts will not print if you turn them off in the View menu, as Daniel also pointed out above. (If you are comfortable editing the instruments.xml file, you could, by changing a single digit, make one of the marimbas into a single staff instrument…)

I’d be happy to edit the instrument.xml file for that! What do I look for, and which digit do I change?

sent you a PM

1- I started with a Piano part but now I need to change it to a Lead Sheet - as I left the LH of the piano blank. How do I do that? Must I copy the piano part to a 1-staff instrument?
2- How do I get the final system of my music to fill out to the full margins? What we call Full Justification in the typesetting world.

1. You can just change to another instrument in Setup mode. Click the expansion arrow next to the player name → hover over the instrument name → click the arrow → Change instrument

2. Open Layout options (cmd+shift+L on mac / ctrl+shift+L on windows) → select ‘Note spacing’ in the drop down menu → disable ‘Only justify final system in flow when more than…’.
    Note: Layout options only applies to the layout(s) selected in the left hand panel.

<<1. You can just change to another instrument in Setup mode. Click the expansion arrow next to the player name → hover over the instrument name → click the arrow → Change instrument>>

Thanks, is there a “Lead Sheet” option? I have chord symbols in this treble line Piano part. When I tried changing to “Treble voice” the chord symbols disappeared. Using Mac OS

Try changing to “treble voice” (or whatever), and, staying in Setup Mode, right click on your treble voice. In that menu go to Chord Symbols and in the bottom half click Show For All Instruments. Have your chord symbols returned?

Treble voice is not a rhythmic instrument, so it is “normal” that the chords are not printed out. There is an option, in setup mode, right-click on that player and submenu Chords symbols, choose “Show for all instruments”, your chords will reappear.
I strongly recommend you to watch the videos provided in the youtube Dorico channel, this has been perfectly explained, as well as many many very interesting features ! You will earn time, I guarantee :wink:

Merci Marc, I appreciate your patience.