(hide rest) in grand staff, both hands in one stave

I think we cannot hide a rest in the primary voice (or where there is only one voice) but what is the best practice when both hands are in the same stave?
Thanks

I’m not sure if I understand your question.
I would put the notes for each hand in its own system and then move them to the other system by hitting ‘m’ (down) or ‘n’ (up). Thus there will be no rests in the now empty system. Does it help?

Dear Arco,

With “remove rests” command in the edit menu, in Write mode, you can remove ANY rest, I think, independently from voices or any content. Hope it helps !

True, except for bar rests in completely empty systems –– or am I missing something?
Of course that’s not a problem because at some point there will always music in a system.

Thanks, Yes I had forgotten about this. Now I’m trying to cut (what I have already done in the other stave) and paste into the primary voice before doing the m or n. I’m not good at this because I don’t really know what voice option to use; usually I get the primary rests already there still existing, and other ones appearing (when the notes only partially fill the measure). Then there is all the options I see for changing, swapping voices, up and down stems and I’m not understanding this.
Thank you all. I might just delete and enter into the correct stave before the n or m, for now.
Any other suggestions for this welcome.

Dorico voices work differently from most (all?) other notation programs.

There is no “fixed number of voices on a staff” with stems up and down, different note collision rules between different pairs of voices, etc. Dorico just looks at all the notes on the staff and figures out how to position them, without bothering about “this note is voice 1 and this is voice 3, so the rules are different” like other notation programs. The only thing Dorico cares about is the default stem direction (up or down) for the notes in each voice.

On any staff, you can create as many voices as you like. Pressing V cycles through the existing voices. Pressing shift-V creates a new one. The default stem direction for a new voice is the opposite of the voice you are currently using.

The voices are identified on the orange caret cursor by a note with stem up or down, and numbers 2, 3, 4, etc if there are several voices with the stem in the same direction.

If for some reason you want 5 voices with stems up on a staff and only one with stem down, you can do that.

One way to understand what’s going on is create a test score, switch on View > Note and Rest Colors > Voice Colors, and play around till it “clicks” - or you have a specific question that you can ask here, rather than a general “I don’t understand” problem.

For a grand staff instrument like a piano, the voices on each staff are all “different” (they are displayed in different colors), so Dorico doesn’t get confused about which voice cross-staff notes “really” belong to. The colors also help you to see which notes are cross-staff, of course.

It’s worth playing before you start on a real project, because one feature of Dorico (slightly irritating IMO) is that if you create a new voice and enter a note into it, deleting the note leaves the unused voice behind “for ever” for the whole flow. If you create a lot of unnecessary voices, pressing V to cycle through them one at a time takes longer, of course.

Actually, Dorico will now delete completely unused voices when loading a project, so they won’t hang around forever any more (though they will hang around for the duration of the current editing session).

Thanks Rob for the explanation (and everyone else) for taking the time to explain. I should be able to make some more progress now.

Ah… Once of twice I thought some of the voices in a fairly complex keyboard part (7 or 8 voices on a grand staff) had “changed color” from the previous editing session, but I didn’t have any hard evidence to prove it. That would probably explain it!