Hide rests

This won’t be a platform difference. Attach the project here (zip it up first) and I’ll take a look to diagnose the problem for you.

Obviously it is intuitive for many users to select a rest and try to hide it. I don’t see why Dorico doesn’t allow one to select a rest, hit delete or some other key, and then BEHIND THE SCENES do all the work of ending one voice and starting it up a bit later or doing whatever is needed for the proper Dorico internal state. In other words, give users a simple intuitive interface but maintain Dorico principles. It’s called having your cake and eating it, too.

Yes, James, we agree on this point. We do plan to add such a command that would operate over a selection and set all of the properties in such a way that the rests would disappear. Hopefully we’ll get to this in the next update, early next year.

It’s still a marketable skill today, because “pre-Dorico” notation software isn’t very smart. But if your other assertion that “what was worth a week’s pay in the 1990s is now only worth a day” is correct, it will cease to be a marketable skill one retiree at a time, because no informed young person is going to choose a long term career path that doesn’t pay the bills.

Well ‘profile career’ is the buzzword of the day - which I’ve always had, earning more from touring than copying or composing (most years anyway). ‘A week = a day’ - it’s the speed (and accuracy) that will continue to be marketable - at least until there are no jobs for actual musicians. It’s not to do with smart software, but less-than-smart composers and music writers, in terms of producing session-ready scores.

There is in fact one case in which hiding primary rests is a must: opera recitatives. Here’s a link to the score of Britten’s Turn of the Screw. Go to page 10 (2 of the music) and look at the first measure of the second system. Clearly, the durations in the vocal part don’t add up to a semibreve.

Is there a way of doing this in Dorico without the need for hiding primary rests? If so, I would like to know because I’m writing an opera and I already have quite a few measures in which this occurs.

Antonio

Unless I’m missing something, you can simply select any rests you don’t want to appear in the accompanying part and choose Edit > Remove Rests.

Oh! I thought that was only for rests in secondary voices. I didn’t even try it, I must regretfully confess! But, yes, it works!
Thank you, Daniel!

As a music theory instructor, I make a lot of worksheets for students and need to have empty measures for students to put their answers in.
There isn’t a logical “musical” reason for this, but I know many people that use scoring software for teaching.
As an arranger and composer, I love many of the features that have been added to Dorico in the last year, but this makes it useless for me as an instructor.

Ben, you can select the rests, switch on the ‘Force position and duration’ property in the Rests group, then set the colour of the rest using the ‘Colour’ property in the Common group to make the rest completely transparent.

I am trying this right now in a drum set staff and remove rests doesn’t work. Is this another bug associated with Drum set?
Thanks!

It’s a known limitation of percussion staves, currently. Search this forum for more related information.

What if you select all your rests then set Custom Scale to 0? :wink:

Even three years after the previous comment, no, this doesn’t work on drum sets.

Or were you replying to the original post from October 2016. If so, why?

:smile: pianoleo believe me or not, I even didn’t noticed that. My apologies.

Seems to be a “search feature” of the new Discourse forum. Many people answer to very old threads these days …