Hide single Barline

Hi How can I hide the singe Barline

Barline

If that’s a local barline (only applies to that staff), you should be able to select it and delete it. This may have knock-on effects on rests etc in the previous bar so just check the staff afterwards.

You can of course delete any barline, local or global, I only really mentioned it because then it definitely won’t impact the other staves.

Hi Lillie

When I select the single barline, the repeat barline is selected automatic with
So I can not delete it

One more information

When I enter time signature the singe barline is created automaticly

I am 99% sure that at the same rhythmic position there’s a end repetition in any of the other instruments. Can you show, what the rest is playing at this point?

If I am right, there’s nothing you can do, to change the behaviour, except for moving the repetition in the bottom a 16th to the left or the right.
You could always get rid of it afterwards in Affinity or Illustrator.

Hello Dorico team,

I would like to revive this topic with a request for two improvements related to a specific situation.
Here is a screenshot of a piece that starts unmeasured, but still I decided to add barlines by using a hidden time signature, in order to make this part easier for conducting and place, more precisely, the various instruments that improvise here:

The main problems I’m having here are:

1. I can’t get rid of the first Barline, right after the “X” time signature (enclosed in red).
  2. I can’t delete, or hide the bar Rests caused by the Condensing function (enclosed in red).

Both problems force me to fix them outside of Dorico, in Affinity Publisher.
Would be pretty nice if we are able to fix such situations directly in Dorico. :slight_smile:
I hope it will be possible in the near future!

Best regards,
Thurisaz

1. Try selecting the time signature signpost at the top, then deleting that.

2. Removing rests entirely can be a risky strategy anyway, due to its resulting impact on horizontal spacing (often most pronounced in the individual part layouts. You could try instead inputting “dummy” notations here, like notes that you mute in playback, and whose noteheads and stems you hide.

Hi @Lillie_Harris

Lillie, I suppose you didn’t understand my point… I don’t want to remove the hidden time signature, because it gives me the opportunity to have barlines.
I just want to remove, or hide the barline before the hidden time signature and to preserve the rest, as I already explained in the previous comment. :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m aware that I can input “dummy” notes and hide them, but these are two additional steps, which can be reduced to single step - hide, or remove.
If the removing could be risky, then an option to be hidden will help, too (when Condensing is activated).

This is the result I’m aiming for (achieved in Affinity Publisher):

The piece is generally in 4/4, but I would like the opening part to sound in unmeasured manner, more freely, but at the same time to provide an easy way for the improvising players where they, exactly should start and finish, also it makes the conductors job easier when leading multiple improvising performers in free time signature.
This piece was performed live by symphony orchestra and traditional soloists. The writing method I decided to use here worked perfectly, especially for the conductor who has had no previous experience with improvising folk instruments.

It would be nice if we could achieve the result, on the screenshot above, without using Affinity Publisher, or Adobe Illustrator. Only Dorico itself, should be enough. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

If this new picture shows what you want to end up with (which is quite helpful to have, as it wasn’t clear from your first picture alone), then what’s preventing you inputting an open X meter at the start, followed by a hidden 4/4 time signature 4 quarter notes later?

1 Like

Thank you, Lillie! :slight_smile:
This helped. I placed the hidden time signature in the next bar and it fixed the all issues.

Best regards,
Thurisaz

1 Like