Hide stem in write mode

I really don’t understand what the issue is here… filter notes, hide stems (in engrave mode—I wish this was accessible from write mode too). You have to have a base note value for dorico to know how to proceed, so even if the stems never appeared at all, you’d still need to select quarter or eighth, etc. so from that standpoint the workflow doesn’t change either way. I do a lot of plainchant work. I put everything in, then do the filter method, and it takes 2 seconds (even less if you have a streamdeck).

Plainchant is an easy case (and Pärt example is mostly tied to liturgy more than “contemporary” music). More difficult is when you have a mixed notation, with both stem and stemless notation. It is not a rarity, and I find very important to know that a note is stemless while entering notes.

I see I’ve already written it, but I reiterate that what I would like is a way to know that those notes are different, even without going to the Engrave mode (that should be touched only while preparing the score for printing, not for editing the semantic of the notes).

Paolo

It would be great if the next version of Dorico has the following item as the sixth item in Context menu:

Stemless

Would it be implementable?

As things stand, no, it’s not practical for us to implement this, but I hope that we will get the chance to at least make it possible to assign a key command directly to the property to hide stems, though you would still need to be in Engrave mode for it to be operable.

1 Like

if you record a macro where you perform the “hide stem property” setting, and look for usermacro in your computer, you should be able to see how the setting is described in Dorico

Where do i find that usermacro?

In your Dorico preferences folder. On a mac, that would be ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3/Script Plug-ins
I don’t know the path on Windows.

Thanks a lot!!!

OK, thanks!

I understand that Dorico differentiates ‘writing’ and ‘engraving’.
In my thinking process, stemless notes are, however, categorised as ‘writing’.
I mean that the followings occur when working:
decide the type of notes: normal notes, grace notes, stemless notes, notes with slashed notehead, flageolet, note with specific notehead, etc.
Inputting notes
Engraving if necessary

Dorico has cues, grace notes in Writing mode. It will be still consistent if Dorico provides “stemless notes” also in Writing mode.

I would like to survey how many users think like me if you allow…

1 Like

Even if you survey your fellow users, Dorico’s development doesn’t proceed by a democratic process or by majority rule.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
OK, I see!

Anyway, it is very good that I am confident with stemless notes!
Thanks!

Thank you for this explanation, Daniel.
Just one thought: It is possible to “flip” stems in write mode using the “F” shortcut.
To me, deciding if a note should have a stem up or down or no stem, is the same kind of decision making.
Could there be a way to “flip” the stems away? Like flipping them to “zero”? Maybe even toggle through “up” / “down” / “no stem” with F ?

Welcome to the forum, Chris. As it happens, in the next update there will be a new command to which you can assign a key command (or access via the jump bar) which will hide or unhide the stem of the selected notes, and you will be able to access this in Write mode.

9 Likes

I was already prepared to throw in my composers hat, as well, and poof… you already took care of it!

This is fantastic! “Small” changes that make a big difference while working long hours! Thank you and keep up the good work!