Hiding bracket before incipit

Hello,

I’m transcribing Franconian motets into modern notation, and I include handwritten incipits (a sample of the original notation) at the beginning of each transcription (I use forScore for this). I separate one measure by placing a Coda on m.2 and hiding the text. Then, in engrave mode, I remove the gap between m.1 and 2 so that the barline is flush with the m.2 bracket. I also have to erase the m.1 bracket in Preview.

Here are screenshots of what it looks like before and after I write the incipit:

Here is my Dorico file:

J’ai mis : Je n’en puis.dorico (1.5 MB)

My question is how can I hide the initial bracket without hiding the bracket in m.2? I don’t want there to be a bracket until my transcription begins. Is there any way to achieve this in Dorico?

At the moment there’s no way to do this, but we do plan to add a proper feature to handle incipits in future, and when we do, we will make this possible.

4 Likes

It is possible to remove all brackets from the first system, add a bracket at the start of the second system, and create a bracket after the incipit with a vertical line and two instances of staff-attached text, one for each bracket end:

J’ai mis _ Je n’en puis_revised.dorico (1.5 MB)

2 Likes

This is one of the more exciting glimpses I’ve read on the forum in a long time.

Thanks for the workaround! I’ll use that for future projects