Hiding dynamics in Write mode

Hi,

As in the attached examples (from Ligeti), sometimes you have to hide dynamics in some of the staves in a group.

Also, you may want to hide dynamics when they are implicit to human players, but not to virtual instruments (for example, when you want to slightly decrease, then increase volume before a new phrase).

As far as I understand, Dorico can’t hide hairpins, that have to be hidden via the Opacity color control. Dynamics marks (like pp, ff) can only be hidden in the Properties pane of the Engrave mode.

Hiding dynamics indications in Write mode is very important to me, since I use to insert this type of controls in the score for playback reasons. In exported parts, I can then make these indications visible again.

For the conductor score, I understand that I might use the CC lane instead of hidden dynamics indications (doing what I do in a sequencer). I’ve not tried this, but it seems less practical, when you can do the same in an easier way with traditional hairpins and dynamics abbreviations.

Paolo
hidden-dyn-2.png
hidden-dyn.png

Hi Paolo !
I hide dynamics all the time, in Write mode… That’s how we can write dolce or espressivo (using prefix or suffix fields)
Check out your properties panel.

Marc, I’m very sorry: I had created a text style simulating ‘intensity markings’. And was convinced I was looking at the the properties of a true dynamics marking…

Maybe I’m doing the same mistake with hairpins?

Paolo

I think setting the color to white (or better: a color with an opacity of 0%) is the only way to hide gradual dynamics.

(This of course has the disadvantage that you can’t see them any more while editing - not even a signpost.)

Mth, I prefer Opacity = 0 over Color = White, because the former should be transparent to any element under it.

Yes, the problem is that there isn’t a signpost, like with hidden objects. The only way to discover transparent objects is to select all, and locate them.

Paolo