Hiding empty "groups"?

Dear all,

I want to create a score layout in which the orchestra conductor doesn’t have to turn pages all the time (by hiding some empty staves) but where he doesn’t loose orientation either (by not changing the number of stave shown every few bars).

I would like to “hide empty groups” so to speak. Is that possible? For instance if all string players have nothing to play I would like to hide all their staves for that passage. Or if all brass players have nothing to play I would like to hide all their staves. If only the cello and bass section have something to play I still want to show the whole string section staves to make things more consistent.

Best wishes!

There isn’t specific functionality for hiding or showing all staves in a group, but as of 3.5 there is functionality for hiding or showing specific staves at any system break or frame break. Create a Break at the start of a system, then double-click its sign post. Set the switches accordingly and apply (and do note that there are Apply to All switches at the bottom of the dialog).

These choices will then apply until you double-click on another later System or Frame Break and set different switches.

Beware: manual staff visibility will hide staves that contain music, if you tell it to.

1 Like