Hiding notes and rest

Dear All,

I know this question is redneck, but I’ve been searching around, but I got no answer.

How could I individually hide notes and rests?

Thank you in advance,

I assume you’re wanting to hide the first quarter note in each bar. In that case, you want to preserve the space where the note should be, so I would select it and scale it down to 1%.

Alternatively, you could select the notes, use color properties and set alpha channel to 0 (transparent), and hide the stems in Engrave mode.

I’d do the former.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Would you mind to help with the squares? How would you create them? I would like to add 10 same-size squares. Would it be possible?

Thank you again!

Someone else might have a better idea, but I would draw these as text frames in Engrave mode (assuming you have Pro), and enable the property for bordered frames.

Thank you, Dan! I’m a Pro user :wink:

I tried that one, but I cannot copy/paste the item. I have tried with the rehearsal marks, but there is no option to leave the square empty… I really this option to create my educational material. I hope someone else could me :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance,

You could alternatively use markers: input them where you want the boxes, make sure they’re set not to show a timecode, then fill each one with a bunch of spaces rather than letters (I’d possibly actually do this in the Video panel as you can see a full list of markers there, and change them one after the other, i.e. enter a lot of spaces in one, select all the spaces, copy, then paste into all the other markers). You might also want to increase the padding between text and the border in markers to make the boxes bigger (which is an engraving option).

Markers are fixed to a time position, rather than a rhythmic position, so be aware that if you change the tempo or do any similar time-altering actions, the markers might well move relative to the music.

1 Like

I also have this problem - one of the few things that are easier in Sibelius. Very useful when setting music theory aural tests!

Which problem, this problem? Box builder font? - #4 by DanMcL

Not that - I’ll upload the page I ended up making in Sibelius, showing the use of blanks.Missing Notes-Raven - blanks.pdf (26.5 KB)

Long time no see, Nick :wink:

I tend to go for this method, seeing as that way everything spaces correctly. It does leave elements in the PDF though, so if there’s a possibility that someone’s going to look at the PDF rather than a physical print then it may not be the best method. (For those situations I tend to still use this method, then dip into Acrobat Pro, marquee select the residual elements and delete them.)

1 Like

Hiding notes in Dorico - YouTube

2 Likes

Thanks Dan - it works, though it is a little laborious.

This is driving me bananas. I’m trying to make a worksheet for my students. How do you get that menu/control panel down the bottom?

I’m using Dorico 2 Pro.

The properties panel is Cmd-8 (Mac) or Ctrl-8 (Windows), or you should see a little arrow at the bottom of the main window - click it.

1 Like

Amazing. Thank you so much!

For the sake of my own learning, I’m curious why you expert Dorico users @pianoleo and @dan_kreider both recommended the scale>1% method rather than color>opacity>0%, hide stems and ledger lines method? Are there advantages to one over the other or just personal preference? I hide notes a lot and have mostly been using the second method, so I just wanted to make sure I’m using Dorico in an optimal way. Thanks!

For me, if you send a PDF for someone else to print, you don’t know if they have a color printer or print in color even if they do. 1% is the safe way.

Jesper

Once it’s in PDF form, can the 0% opacity notes still be seen if printed in color?! or not in color!? I’m confused. I hope no one has tried to print one of the scores I made like that and ended up with a mess!
I feel like I can still see little dots when I do 1% though?

No, but it can be seen if printed in B/W I think.

Jesper

As a test, I just printed a page of a PDF with some 0% opacity notes on it. It was exported from Dorico in color but printed in black and white. It came out as expected, just like it looked on the PDF, without the 0% opacity notes shown. Phew!

Maybe what you were thinking of is that if you send someone a Dorico file, they could print it in black and white and all the 0% opacity notes would be shown?

I typically only send people PDFs rather than Dorico files for situations where they might be printing, so luckily that isn’t an issue for me.

But my understanding of this is quite limited, so if anyone can confirm if any of this is accurate, that would be helpful!