High performance professional bullet proof Mac setup

As I says, is all about workflow, personally I love to have 40 instruments under my tips in the Instruments rack, especially when I work with big orchestras, or trance EDM arrangements about synths, is stupid? I don’t know it’s my workflow. I also use 12 busses routed externally with 24 analog mixer, and 4 external compressor routed with External FX page. Is my personal workflow, and is fully working under C6.5 the same exactly configuration is not possible under C7.5.20, same song same plugs, i’ve to upgrade my Mac because C7 is more hungry? I’ve 8core xeon intel, and SSD Drive, mmmmm. Paul I’m happy for you but a macbook pro 2010 with Mavericks can’t handle my workflow system :slight_smile: I’ve a Mac Pro 2012 too, nothing comparable with Xeon processor sorry, yes i’ve used my macbook for recording live, for playback 64tracks live, is ok for that, but arranging with Komplete ultimate is almost impossible, also macbook pro can’t use more than 16bg of ram. As we agree mostly of the problems are with 3rd party plugs yes, but I don’t have these problems with C.6.5 should be some mysterious reason somewhere. :slight_smile:

Of course you are right, it all comes down to individual needs and personal workflow…

Sure, my macbook has its limitations as any system has.
Just ordered a new MacBook pro with max RAM and 1TB SSD inside.
Should speed up things considerably…
Actually my 2010 model served me very well.
I can’t see any difference performance wise between 6.5 and 7.5.2,
but i know some people who say the same as you do…

Regards,
Paul

I’m sorry I have to disagree. I was using 6.5 with an HP laptop it was okay but not the best… I switched to MBP i7 in 2012 and no cubase is not better on HP. It’s much better on my MBP in many ways. I never had a crash or issues with 6.5 and 7.5 with Mac…

I’d also say update to Mavericks. I had a lot of those issues with Mountain Lion.

Even though I have 64-bit hardware, I’m running Cubase 7.5 in 32-bit mode because of some older plugins.

Another thing, it’s a pain, but do a fresh backup of your hard drive, and then erase it, and install Mavericks and then restore your backup. My experience is that OS X starts to get slow as the drive gets fragmented. When I start getting the beachballs and Finder freezes and crashes I do this and then everything is much faster! You can also do this by reinstalling Mountain Lion if you don’t want to upgrade to mavericks, but I would. Mavericks is faster.

I’m on an early 2009 iMac, and Cubase runs great. One thing I see people do however is assigning redundant plugins to each track, when you can use one and bus it like they do in a hardware studio situation. Unless you are doing a special effect, you don’t need separate reverbs and the like for each track.

An interesting reading about this matter:

Nice thread.

I’ve just updated to Mavericks. One of the issues (EUCON) is not here anymore.

That is NOT a HP Z system workstation, which is to what SB was referring!

The video issue is still in Mavericks

Antonio did you update your eLicenser also?

Yes, I did it

I run a Mac Pro 2008 Bootcamped with Windows 64 bit and its by far the most stable and trouble-free system I’ve run. I have alot of 3rd party stuff and UAD plugs so I still have some problems (apparently UAD dont support 7.5 yet and they are causing me some random crashes at the moment but other than that I’m quite happy).

My main reason for using Windows is ‘Direct Monitoring’ . … I actually dont really know how OSX users are managing without it. Its ok having your system at 128 samples while initially tracking but there are lots of times where I’m heavy into a mix and the latency is at 1024 and I want to redo something – How do you guys cope? Using the interface mixer?

I use the RME TotalMixer for that

Out of interest I see your running Cuase 7.5 along with UAD plugins. How are these getting along for you on OSX? Random crashes?

Yup. MOTU CueMix here for direct monitoring. Works great. No worries.

How would you approach the following using the RME mixer or the MOTU Mixer for my own info:

You are doing a vocal drop-in and want the vocalist to hear back their recorded track until you hit record in Cubase. Then you want the monitoring of that track to turn to the live mic. Using the external software mixer option in OSX would the singer not be singing along with their own voice until you hit ‘record’ in Cubase? That is unacceptable to me. Or is there another work method I dont see here?

No, it’s not possible to do that if you don’t automatize the mixer using MIDI (possible, but bothering)

. . . . Thats what I thought. With Direct Monitoring ini Windows and Cubase monitoring set to Tape Machine style this is the behaviour. This is the way all tape machines I ever used would work over the years (Reel to Reels, ADAT, Tascam DA-88, , Akai DR16, IZ RADAR,) so its something I come to expect in DAW workflow. You can imagine my “surprise” when I bought a MAC to find out it didnt have that facility.

I think that I can do that with my Steinberg UR824 (and all the UR series) in Mac.

I use the UR28M it even works without Cubase… As for the video issue. I got an error message the one and only time I tried using cubase with video. The message was: Cubase’s video engine has stopped working.

I have the video issue even without using video