High Sierra

So it starts again. Cubase 9.5 compatible with High Sierra? :wink: Looks like the new iMac Pro will start a new dimension also for DAWs hopefully. Also the new models already look pretty awesome from the specs.

Looks like mostly a performance update (which is good for SB if there are no major changes).

iMac Pro looks like it’s geared for 4K Video and AR production. No real advantage for audio here. Just load up a late model cheese grater mac with SSD and RAM and you’re good to go for a couple more years! :wink:

And VERY expensive. The base model is $5K, so I estimate around $10K for the 18 core with 128GB Ram. Plus, it’s not upgradeable so you’re stuck with what you buy.

Hopefully High Sierra will be a good performance update – always welcome.

As for the iMac Pro – meh. Expensive for too little, just like Apple always does, and in this case you’re stuck with their monitor. It’s crazy how much more power for audio work, for so much less money, that you can get with a PC…often I think about switching from my Mac Pro to a Windows machine, but I need full Pro Tools compatibility. At least would solve the GUI problems that have made me go back to Pro Tools for new projects, until it’s fixed.

And VERY expensive. The base model is $5K, so I estimate around $10K for the 18 core with 128GB Ram. Plus, it’s not upgradeable so you’re stuck with what you buy.

Huh? The 27" Base model is $2,299. The base for the 21" is $1499.

Fully loaded (4.2GHz i7 Processor, 2TB SSD, 64gb 2400MHZ DDR4 RAM, Radeon Pro 580 GPU & Keyboard with Numeric Keypad) it’s $5,329.

And about that 64gb of RAM: unlike the 21" model, the 27" model has a hatch to let you upgrade the RAM. So, if you buy the fully loaded version with the minimum (8gb) of RAM and order 64gb from OWC (for example) and replace the old 8gb stick (mailing back the 8gb RAM for a rebate from OWC), a fully loaded unit will set you back $4462 all in, with a savings of $864 on the RAM.

Apple’s ridiculous markup on the 64gb of RAM is $1400…so I would suspect that by the time the “Pro” version hits in December, you’ll be able to do something similar for a huge savings in RAM. My guestimate for that unit (loaded) will probably be $8000. Not $10k. Still, this is a small fortune…but if you love the OS and want the convenience of an iMac with that gorgeous 4 or 5k Retina monitor…have at it.

Actually, the starting price for the iMac Pro (not the regular iMac) is $4,999 for the base model. You’re talking about the regular iMac, which is much cheaper and much less powerful.

Actually, the starting price for the iMac Pro (not the regular iMac) is $4,999 for the base model. You’re talking about the regular iMac, which is much cheaper and much less powerful.

Yep, you’re right. My bad. I was looking at what was available right now. Yep…$4999 for the base model and probably close to $10k for the bonkers model. Jeez…that’s a lot of money…but the specs are impressive.

What I find disappointing is that they decided to do this instead of releasing a new Mac Pro designed for real professional use (unlike that horrid, underpowered, overpriced and unextensible Trashcan they left to die 3 years ago). Apple announced apologetically that there was a new one in the pipeline designed for the professional community (read that as an upgraded “cheese grater” form-factor). And good lord, I can’t even imagine how much they’re going gouge us for that.

As for High Sierra, Cubase will probably not have an issue with it, as the thrust of what I’ve read about the build is that it’s supposed to be a strictly 64 bit OS…meaning, no more 32 bit apps allowed. Since Cubase is already a 64 bit app, I think we’ll be ok. I would also assume that plugin wrappers like jBridge and 32 Lives will still keep older plugs running like they do now.