High VST usage and sluggish graphical performance

Hello,

New to cubase here. I am using Cubase Pro 8.5 on a Windows 10 x64 machine (details below).

On a relatively modest session, I am having issues moving around the tracks panel for editing. The interface seems sluggish (starts scrolling sometimes 500mS after I actually use the scroll wheel). It is also inconsistent. I also notice the average audio processing load is relatively high (40-70%) even with only a few VST instances in my session. I got much more mileage out of Reaper before it started crapping out and getting slow… It does this with my build in soundcard, and with my saphire 6i6. Are there any windows settings for 10 or cubase that I need to look at to improve graphical and overall performance or am I going to be unhappy with this DAW and go back to Reaper? I’d rather not have wasted the $550…

My machine is:

Core i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz
16 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit
2 nVidia GTX970

when you have all that tech spec, then it is not the software, that’s impossible. it must be the computer making the software sluggish. 99% of all cases then it is the computer screwing up the software. try reinstall the whole thing and see what happens. read everything carefully before click next

Sounds like a graphics driver problem, but in fact there are numerous users that have issues with sluggish GUI that seem completely unrelated to graphics hardware or drivers. See this thread, where you’ll also find some replies from Fabio at Steinberg Tech Support: Steinberg Forums