Hollywood Choirs every note sustains

I’m using EW Hollywood Choirs for the first time in Dorico. It doesn’t seem to be registering note-off at all - every note sustains for ever.
I’ve tried everything I can think of.
Any ideas?

Coming back to this, it is the wordbuilder only that is note picking up note-offs, so not Dorico’s problem.

I believe Hollywood Choirs really relies on tempo information being sent to the VST plug-in in order for Wordbuilder to work properly. As yet Dorico doesn’t send such tempo information, but it’s planned for the future.

Thank you for the info, Daniel. It’s not a major stress not having this in Dorico, it was just a headscratcher. Thank you also that it was so easy to switch the expression map to mod wheel volume!

I found the solution for wordbuilder with player 6 version in dorico , use a VST host ELEMENT (kushview) , setup an ELEMENT as a VST Instrument, in the "Element plugin " select a “Play” plugin and setup the inputs and outputs of play vst. setup the midi input in “Play” and the first 2 audio output (I can’t upload an image showing how),
To sum it up , use a vst host “ELEMENT” by kushview as a instrument in dorico, and use the EW player 6 plugin inside the ELEMENT plugin, in this case wordbuilder works!

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I shall try when I have a spare couple of hours. Very helpful.

I will have to give this one a try…

I found a problem, when you export the audio the syllables are cut off, sorry, in playback no problem, but the audio export is bad. I really believed I had the solution.

The solution is a good one for me. For anything I use H Choirs, I’m fine to recreate in DAW.

1 Like

I’m glad it worked for you, in my case i export midi and wav from dorico, and use chorus midi track and other wav tracks for mix and master in sonar bandlab daw and it works too.

I have this identical problem in November 2022. Did anything get added to Dorico 4 that causes this problem to go away? I’m stuck at Dorico 3.5 as one of the “lucky” PC users who cannot install Steinberg Library Manager as it crashes every time. Can’t upgrade Cubase, either.

Hollywood Choirs works fine in Dorico 4 --the problem was fixed. I have a number of projects using it. Although Opus was buggy in its earlier incarnations, recent updates means that it seems to work at least as well as the older PLAY software.

As Hollywood Choirs requires Opus or Play 6, I’m afraid it’s not fully compatible with Dorico 3.5 where Wordbuilder only works properly with Play 5.0.6. The Symphonic Choirs library, however, will work OK with D 3.5 using the older PLAY version.

I’m not aware of a problem experienced by multiple users where Steinberg Library Manager cannot run. I guess you’ve supplied crash logs etc. to our support team?

I have. Multiple times, since April. Finally, about a month or so ago I got the, “It’s a known problem, we’re working on it.” The installer for the library manager throws up its initial dialog box but before you can read it, the installer crashes. I even reloaded the Windows 10 Pro OS a month ago. No joy. Needless to say, it’s frustrating to be stuck at “last year’s software” on the two apps I use daily.

I’ve had a look in our internal bug tracking database and I can see that there is at least one issue related to this still open, so the team is aware of the problem. It appears that the problem may somehow be related to some corruption in the Windows Registry concerning Windows Installer. From what I’ve seen in the database, it doesn’t appear that there is any workaround available at the moment, unfortunately.

Thanks. That’s useful and actionable info.

Thanks for looking. I’m afraid there’s so few of us with this problem that it’s not getting any attention. I’ve examined the crash logs myself, and it appears always the same fault — even through an OS reinstall. The hail-Mary step is to rebuild the entire DAW, which I have avoided, since it takes me about two weeks.

I can only assume that the troublesome Windows Installer data survives a reinstall of Windows. If you have a ticket with our support team, it would be worth sending in another reply to let them know you’re still waiting for a solution.

Hi, Daniel. It may interest you to know that we have passed the one-year mark on this bug in the Steinberg Library manager setup.exe that has prevented me (and several other users worldwide) from upgrading to Dorico 4 and Cubase 12. You suggested that if I had a ticket with the support team, to re-engage with them. Well, since our exchange, I have done this many times. In addition, I pursued the following since then and now:

1. I upgraded to Windows 11 to see if that cured the crash of the Library Manager installer. It DIDN’T.
  2. For $500, I opened a ticket with Microsoft Enterprise support, deployment team, and had them analyze the repeated crashes. After several weeks of investigation, they demonstrated that the crash indeed was in the SLM installer “setup.exe” and they told me to “contact the vendor” for support. They said it was not a Windows problem.
  3. I continued to nag the support group here in the U.S. I’ve had the same support engineer on this for the entire 13 months. In February, I received the following from the support engineer, Adam Benjamin:

Please forgive my silence here, I’ve been out of the office since we last spoke in November. Upon my return, I found some positive progress on this issue. It appears the team may have nailed down the problem and now the fix is to be included in a future release of the installer. I am not sure when that will be released exactly but it sounds like it should resolve this issue for you, so we’ll want you to keep an eye out for the next Library Manager installer update.

1. Noting that Steinberg has finally admitted that this is YOUR bug, in my reply I requested early access to a “beta” of the repaired installer. That was two months ago. On March 1, the engineer replied:

I understand this has not been a good support experience for you and I apologize that I can’t move things along any faster. I’ve asked our supervisor for assistance on this and he’s working it from his side. Unfortunately as of right now we haven’t been able to get a beta installer for this but we’re working on it.

One year +. What I cannot understand is the seeming total indifference of your development team – or their management – to getting this updated code to me to (a) get me up and running, and (b) see if the patch actually solves the problem. I am speaking as a former VP of Software Engineering for a Silicon Valley high-tech firm with 70 developers and 30 support engineers.

If it had been me, I would have fallen all over myself to get the poor user up and running – as a matter of principle, but also to assure myself that this rare but show-stopping bug had been totally killed. I would have ordered my developer to interact directly with the end user, with the assigned support engineer watching from the sidelines. This is how much this kind of issue drove me crazy. But I guess that – you excepted – Steinberg is cut out of a different – or perhaps INdifferent cloth. I would have never said to the customer, “[we] want you to keep an eye out for the next Library Manager installer update.”

It’s too bad. I’d really like to get that Dorico upgrade I paid for (twice) a year ago, and that Cubase 12 upgrade I paid for a year ago, installed.

I posted this update here, rather than in my original problem thread because you are the one person on the “inside” at Steinberg who to me consistently seems to care about individual users. Thanks for that.

Thanks for the update, Steve, and I’m sorry to hear that this hasn’t been resolved. I’ll connect with Adam and see what I can turn up about the current state of this issue, and follow up.