I should have said Install rather than import. Each time I start Cubase the new device is listed in the Midi Device Manager, but after selecting it in the project track inspector, than selecting it there, none of the patches I had added to the new device appear. I did try to use the export/import on the new device, but never could get that to work, but that’s another problem for another day.
I can’t seem to get the added patches in the new device to appear for selection in the track inspector.
I have figured a way to cheat the system. Made a copy of the SD-50 script I found on the internet, changed the file name, edited the device name in the script, than copied it into the same inactive/Roland file as the original. I than installed that new device using the Midi Device Manager. I am now able to modify that device to look like I want (similar to the ones I used in Sonar - habit I guess) and everything works fine for the SD-50.
I have another Roland module JV-2080 which I used occasionally and have no Cubase scripts on the web, so I still need to figure how to get a new dvice to be useful.