Homebase for Sonar users

Can you clarify something?
It sounds like the device works for patch select as long as you don’t import a MIDI file. Is that correct?

In Sonar there’s this fun thing called Retrograde, with which you can mirror a midi track (maybe audio too, I’m not sure), so it plays backwards. Is there a comparable function/script in Cubase?

For midi → Select the midi event, go to midi menu, then functions and then reverse.
For Audio → Select the audio event, go to audio menu, then processes and then reverse.

I should have said Install rather than import. Each time I start Cubase the new device is listed in the Midi Device Manager, but after selecting it in the project track inspector, than selecting it there, none of the patches I had added to the new device appear. I did try to use the export/import on the new device, but never could get that to work, but that’s another problem for another day.

I can’t seem to get the added patches in the new device to appear for selection in the track inspector.

I have figured a way to cheat the system. Made a copy of the SD-50 script I found on the internet, changed the file name, edited the device name in the script, than copied it into the same inactive/Roland file as the original. I than installed that new device using the Midi Device Manager. I am now able to modify that device to look like I want (similar to the ones I used in Sonar - habit I guess) and everything works fine for the SD-50.

I have another Roland module JV-2080 which I used occasionally and have no Cubase scripts on the web, so I still need to figure how to get a new dvice to be useful.

Thank you. Should’ve looked harder.

Hello community. 20+ years of Cakewalk Sonar user converting over. Yes things are different, better and maybe worse depending on solutions, getting used to it. So two things seem odd, not sure feature or bug. Thoughts?..

1. When I close all my projects the Cubase menu bar stays up until i click to close X a few times - Bug or feature?

2. Recording button weird. I can inadvertently, I guess by touching a track, flip tracks into record or not record mode while recording. Kinda like it but ummm sometimes oops not recording or recording when I didn’t mean to . - Bug or feature, Why?

3. So this one not liking. In Sonar you attach a track to an converter input and it shows you the input level without direct monitoring. Seems like in Cubase that is only possible when you set an input to be direct monitored (I dont do/like that). Forces you to show input channels (to see input levels) and track to see post recording levels. So I need to show separate meters for input level AND recorded level. Seems odd, clunky for tracking, takes up mixer space. Really not sure why this is a good thing.

Thanks for finger exercising time typing response :slight_smile:
Mark

1. much hated “feature” if you are on windows
  2. you can turn off auto-enable record in preferences.
  3. I think most of us will tell you that it is a good thing because it is in fact a separate track. in the inspector and on the mixconsole I don’t believe you can show the input level. However, on the channel editor, there is a weird double arrow button on the top row that will show all input and output routings channels as part of the editor window.

I tried that. But every time I use that function the audio comes out as “Paul is dead”. :laughing:

Press Ctrl-Q It will shut down the whole app Though one thing I’ve found is if you do that and your project isn’t saved, it prompts you with a Dialog “Do you want to save”
DO NOT PRESS YES, PRESS CANCEL
Save the Project and then press Ctrl-Q
Pressing Yes, will often ~50% of the time lead to Cubase crashing (still occurs in cubase 9.5) . I think cause it starts saving and before thats completely finishes it goes into project shutdown mode

:laughing:

Hi guys,
this time I would like to know how I can get a quick way of working starting a mixdown; I usually saved track templates in Sonar… for this…

My scenario is:

while mixing a new CD, the first thing I mix is the drums (maybe 14 channels or so)…
I used to set up the drums tracks for an initial mixing, including levels, fx etc. as well as bussing (I like to route for example the snares to a snare bus, the toms to a tom bus etc.) and all the buses usually are routed to another bus that I call DRUMS that is routed to a final Master bus.

In Sonar I usually set up everything for the FIRST song, and then I am used to SAVE a Track Template which stores all those settings (including buses), so I can use the same setting (as starting point) for the other songs… (keep in mind that usually the drums are recorded in a couple of days in the same studio, so the drums tracks are more or less similar for each song).

In Sonar, I load the track template that I previously saved and everything works fine (the only thing I need to do is to MOVE the various drum clips inside the “correct” tracks that are created loading the track template… )

Now in Cubase I am not able to find a similar solution… I tried with the Track Presets, but it seems NOT to save the buses as well.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Giorgio

Hi, ed. Just updated to halion 3.1 and I’m getting the “halion presets are missing” dialog. I installed both the library and the content.
Thanks. Loving cb!

Hey, Mark. I have a similar question. In Sonar we can check input levels by switching track meters to Record meters. Then, with the track armed for recording, we wouldn’t have to look somewhere else to see the input levels.

There don’t seem to be any Record meter options in Cubase 9.5. Is that right? So, we have to look at the Input bus levels in the Mix Console to to check the record levels. Is that how it works? If so, lame.

File → Save as Template

When you start CB → look under New Project → ‘More’ and your template should be there

You downloaded the update for the wrong version of Halion Sonic.
Take a look here: 9.5.1 Update Problem With Halion - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Greetings.
Another Sonar Refugee seeks a new DAW in Cubase.

In Sonar I have always had a custom startup template so that when I start Sonar it is immediately ready for me to record whatever fleeting ideas I might wish to capture.

I am struggling to accomplish this same thing in Cubase. I have searched the Internet, searched the Manual, and searched this Forum; all without success. So now I am here seeking assistance from you kind folks.

I have created and saved a nice custom template in Cubase, but:

1. I can’t figure out how to make it the default startup template.

2. Whenever I start Cubase and open my new custom template, all of my routings are gone for all of my interface inputs & outputs, and I have to reassign them all over again.

3. Whenever I start Cubase and open my new custom template, everything that I had set up on my screen (window placements, locations & sizes) are all gone, and it has returned to some pathetic little window that is absolutely un-workable, and I have to set up everything all over again.

Surely there must be a way to accomplish what I wish to do with Cubase.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance you might provide - your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your answer, but this way is not so good in my case:

the templates creates NEW empty songs.

Imagine that I have some different songs in which I recorded drums tracks and, after mixing the first song, I would like to use the same settings for the drums (incuding the group and fx channels) for the other songs.

Loading a new template should be fine, but then I have the problem to transfer all the tracks inside it and this goes to further different problems and complications.

The best thing is to let Cubase to save the console setting for some channels so I can use the same setting for aonther song… and this is already there BUT this procedure does NOT include gruop channels, fx channels and in/out settings …

Any other suggestion?

Thank you,

Giorgio

I have two related questions I can’t figure out.

1. I draw a continuous controller in the Editor window on a midi track (e.g. Volume). The Toolbar in the Editor window doesn’t give me an option to draw straight lines, which means the controller graph looks like a mountain range. How can I draw a straight, gradually ascending or descending line? The Toolbar in the Project window does give that option, but not the one in the Editor window.
  2. I’ve drawn the controller. Now, with Extracting Midi Automation (Midi->Functions) I should be able to make the controller appear in a separate lane in the project window. I do that, I see the controller disappear from the graph in the Project window, but where did it go? When I click Show Lanes of the track in question it’s not there.

Anyone: Is there a way to change a Cubase track meter to “record meter” as it functions in Sonar? It seems like in Cubase, a track meter becomes an input meter only when the track monitor button is engaged. In Sonar, the track meter becomes a recording level input meter when the track is armed to record, regardless of the monitor button (in Sonar’s case, it’s called the Input Echo button). I always monitor audio signals to record through my hardware mixer, and so I want that Cubase track monitor button turned off. It seems that the only way I have to check the recording levels is to view the input channel meters in the MixConsole. Is that correct?

It would be a nice feature for Cubase to add recording input levels to individual tracks, regardless of the monitor button.

In Cubase you monitor your input on the input channels and that is the only way. I know it’s a bit difference in Sonar as Sonar doesn’t have dedicated input tracks. But for better or worse, depending how you look at it, Cubase uses Input tracks which should be used to monitor incoming signals.