Homebase for Sonar users

For whom is interested:

answering my own question regarding:

loading into a project a channel structure including routing, groups fx etc. I found a solution:

1: select the tracks (including groups and fx) that you want to take as starting point into a different song
2: File > Export > Selected Tracks (before this DELETE all recordings in those tracks - remember, DON’T save the song now!!!) .
3: inside the new project File > Import > Track archive…

Voilà…

Brilliant!

Thanks so much for finding this, and much appreciated you posting the solution.

Any ideas on this?

Hi gForceDude54,

Sorry, haven’t found a way to do that yet either. I’ll be keeping an eye out on this thread for an answer though.

Cheers from SF

1. Have you looked into workspaces yet? This is a good video to explain it

If you Add the Workspace as a Project Workspace, then ‘Save as Template’ the layout should get saved with the template.

Thank you for this. It is a possible/potential solution to my item #3 above. I will give this a try perhaps tomorrow. For now I am just too frustrated with Cubase, and have been spending my time investigating other DAW solutions (Studio One & Reaper). It seems that Cubase is just so very UN-intuitive, and so verrrrry UN-productive, that it just may not be workable for me.
It just seems so unbelievable that what I want to do is not possible. Do all Cubase Users spend the first 10 minutes setting everything up (AGAIN!), every time they use this program ?!?
That certainly will not work for me.

Thank you for your assistance ericyeoman !

UPDATE to my original post (shown here below):

1. No change, no success.

2. I tried saving my inputs & outputs as a preset, which preset can then be selected after I open my template; but all of my track assignments are gone, and need to all be re-assigned again. These extra steps are not acceptable for me, or for my work flow.

3. I tried saving my Workspace as a preset (both Global & Project), but that did not work - I still had to take the extra steps to select & open my saved Workspace. Although this is a slight improvement (thank you ericyoeman!), these extra steps are still not good for me, or for my workflow.

Here is a new one:
4) I created Instruments Tracks for Virtual Instruments in my newly saved custom template, but when I open my new custom template (from the HUB) they are all gone, and need to be re-created, all over again from the start. This is absolutely unacceptable for me, and for my workflow.

So far, my only solution/workaround is to save my new custom template as a simple project, instead of a template; and then to start Cubase by double-clicking on my new project (which is my template). In this manner everything is still there as I wish for it to be when Cubase starts with this project. This seems to me to be a bizarre way of doing this, but it does accomplish what I wish to do.
Surely there must be a way to do this with a template - some kind of a default start-up template - in Cubase.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Again, thank you in advance for any and all assistance you might provide - your help is greatly appreciated.

PS: Fortunately for me, SONAR is still working - PERFECTLY !

Basically your routing should be saved. The only thing I can think of to try is to delete your preferences folder and let Cubase recreate it. What you describe is not how it should work. Stuff like that sometimes happens when permissions are wrong or a configuration file is corrupted.

I’m guessing that your post was for me and my Custom Startup Template issue ?
That sounds like MacOS stuff - I’m on Windows 10, and there is no such thing as a “preferences folder” .
But I do agree with you that ‘what I describe is not how it should work’. And I thank you for your assistance.

And, strangely, it works perfectly if I save my template as a regular Project file - when I then double-click on the Project file, Cubase starts up with everything just exactly as I saved it - all of my input/output track routings are there, all of my window placements & configurations are intact, and all of my Virtual Instrument tracks & instruments are there, with everything working fine.
I would just prefer to achieve this in a Template format, rather than as a regular Project file.
I think that I will try posting my question in the General area of this forum, and see if any of the ‘experts’ over there have any ideas.

EDIT - I just now did exactly that, so for anyone who wishes to follow along with this question, here you go:

Windows preferences are here: Where are the settings stored?

I don’t know if it would help but save as project first then save as template.
Never had this problem.

How do you convert mono files to a stereo? In sonar it’s just a click.
Cubase 9
Sonar x2

I’m another Sonar refugee joining the ranks of Cubase warriors. My first stop was Studio One. While it’s a great DAW in many ways, the lack of MIDI support was a deal-breaker for me. So here I am.

I was a devoted Cakewalk user for over 20 years. I also own the Cakewalk/Roland V-Studio VS-700 system. It’s a wonderful system, even outside of Sonar. I got the built-in Fantom VS synth working via JBridge. All the audio ins and outs work fine.

The control surface is, on the other hand, is much more limited. It’s supposedly Mackie Control compatible, but a lot of functionality seems missing. The faders work, along with solo, mute, arm and select. The shuttle works (slowly) as do most of the transport controls. Oddly, the pan knobs don’t seem to work. Nothing shows up on the time display. Everything else is “press at your own risk.” So here’s a question. Is there any way within Cubase to map functions to a control surface like the VS-700c? Any help would be appreciated.

Other than that, I’ve been enjoying getting to know Cubase. The score editor is fantastic. The program as a whole shares much of the same functionality as Sonar, but differs considerably in terms of navigation and operation. There’s a definite learning curve, though not an unpleasant one.

It’s done in the Pool.

1. Project → Pool, or Ctrl P.

2. Find the file under Audio, Right click and goto ‘Convert Files.’

3. From the ‘Channels’ dropdown, select Stereo Interleaved.’

4. Check the ‘Options’ dropdown for New or Replace, so you don’t accidentally overwrite the original file.

Thanks for the reply but yesterday I’ve found one solution on this YouTube video

Another long time (25 years or so) Cakewalk/Sonar refugee here.

I’ve been using the Cubase trial for a few days now and it seems pretty good. Looks like it will be a steep learning curve but may be worth the plunge. Unfortunately, I was living under a rock and missed the whole cross-grade offer announcement. I’m assuming it is too late and that is no longer valid?

Thanks!

There is still a cross grade option on the Buy page, but not sure if Sonar is still a valid product, IIRC from threads on GearSlutz and other places it would be, what isn’t on offer is a further reduction on the cross grade price. Also, I think the offer was for Platinum/Professional only.

Best bet is to contact Steinberg or one of their dealers.

One thing to note is that you will need an eLicenser if you don’t already have one.

Hi. I also just recently switched from Sonar after 14 years. Steinberg still offer cross-grades for “Sonar Platinum/Professional” to Cubase Pro. The discount just isn’t as big as it was December to mid-January (IIRC).

Thanks for the info. Yes, I’m on Sonar Platinum so that isn’t an issue. And I already have an e-licenser, so that isn’t a problem.

Looks like the cross-grade price is something like $70-80 more than the special Dec-Jan price was, so it’s still a solid deal, but wish I had noticed sooner.

Thank you for confirming this!

This might be of interest:

BandLab Technologies today announced the acquisition of certain assets and the complete set of intellectual property of Cakewalk Inc. from Gibson Brands.