Homebase for Sonar users

Everyone should really use the control room, I have used Cubase many years without enabling it, fearing it would complicate things. It actually makes the handling easier IMHO.
Just to have the ability to use the Listen Bus is so useful, highly recommend to spend an hour on setting it up and testing the possibilities it gives you/us.

Yep, i use it all the time. Great for Room correction-, metering- and reference-track-plugins!

In Sonar it is very easy to organize effects plugins. With a click or two you can put them into a category like “Reverb” or “Limiter,” etc. It’s also easy to create your own categories or to put a multi-function effect into more than one category.

Effects (and VST instruments) can also be sorted by category, manufacturer, and type.

How do you do something similar in Cubase?

Thanks!

Do you want to hear the Audio on that track before you drop in?
That is a preference under “Auto Monitoring”. There you could choose either “While Record Running” or “Tape machine style”.
If you want to hear both at the same time (playback and monitor) this not possible.

The VST Plug-in Manager provides lists of the effects and VST instruments that are installed onyour computer. These lists are used in the selectors for VST instruments and effects.
The VST Plug-in Manager allows you to do the following:

You can view lists of all effects and VST instruments that are loaded by Cubase when youlaunch the program.
The lists of all effects or VST instruments are created automatically every time you startCubase. You can also initiate a rescan at any time. This ensures that these lists are alwaysup-to-date.

You can create your own lists of effects or instruments for use in the selectors for effectsor instruments. User-defined lists are called collections.
Collections allow you to create sub-sets of the available effects or instruments, forexample, to give you a better overview of the effects used in a project.

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Sorry but I think we are having a small language issue, so I’ll try to explain two concepts in Cubase.

1. Simultaneous multiple microphones recording will be 1 track for 1 microphone (unless stereo pair, then 1 stereo track per stereo pair). This is if the recording is simultaneous.

2. loop/cycle recording. I think this is what you are referring to. In this mode Cubase makes new lane for each loop/cycle on a track. In this mode there is currently not a way to have the previous lane playback in the recording region. I’ve actually requested this several times, but so far no love.

Hi, thank you for your answer.

I understand that if a track is in recording mode the audio inside is automatically muted.

However I think that there should be an option (maybe into the preferences) that could change this behaviour.

In my experience (I used Sonar for 20 years… I am a guitar player) when I record some parts I usually do this:
(please note that I cannot play ALL the song in one single recording, and I usually record section by section)

as example:

I need to record a something from bar 1 to 32…

I record from bar 1 to 16 - OK
then I need to record from bar 17… but I also need that my recording sounds good in particular between bar 16 and 17, so I need to hear exactly what it was happening before bar 17 … right?

I know that I could use a PUNCH in at 17 … but it could be much easier if I could simply hear what was happening (in sonar I did that a lot of times).

As I told, I also know that I could record in two different tracks, but if I am using 2 microphones this will become quite complicated.

What do you think upon this scenario?

Thanks again,

Giorgio

by the way, the simplest thing to do is drag the “good” lane to a new track. This will allow it to play back without having to reroute things. That’s my current work around for this workflow.

EDIT: So for me, I typically want to do this while building vocal harmonies. I want to quickly just loop the harmony parts without stopping. I want to hear each previous lane as it loops to build the context of the harmony. It is definitely more cumbersome in Cubase right now.

Mmm, ok, so you suggest that every time that a small section is “well recorded”, I could drag the clip into a new track?

Yes, I know, and this could be a solution (but recording more than 1 track at the same time, maybe with 2 or 3 mics, this becomes not so handy…).

Anyway couldn’t be better to have a “switch” into the preferences that allows to hear the same track while recording?

Thanks again…

Giorgio

As I mentioned, I have requested this many times over the years. Heck, it’s possible it’s there and I don’t know it :smiley: But I don’t think so. Only so many Christmas miracles allowed :laughing:

Ok, maybe I will try to ask for this into the Feature Requests and Suggestions section of the forum…

Thank a lot … and have a good day!!!

CIAO

Giorgio

Actually I’m not clear on that part … 2 or 3 mics should always go to separate tracks. I’m not following what you are trying to do in that scenario.

Yes: if I record with 3 mics - I set up 3 tracks (OK).

If I need to “move” the clips every time as you described (for “monitoring purposes”), I need to move 3 clips every time into 3 new tracks (carefully, moving the clips in the corrects 3 “extra” track that I created for monitoring purposes).

As I told, it could be MUCH better if Cubase stops muting my audio while recording, no?

Giorgio

Yes I think so, just wanted to make sure we were saying the same thing. You just want to do it across multiple inputs. I don’t think it’s more/less useful regardless of number of tracks. Like I said for me, vocal harmony building is a biggy where this would help tremendously. Not to mention guitar multi-track building.

Yeah, a different example could also be while recording guitar without metronome and NOT staying into Cubase’s grid (a “free” recording, ok?)

If you do this, and you stop recording in a particular moment, and you need to record further, you NEED to hear exactly where you stopped and what you played, so you can go on… (punch in is not an elegant solution…)

It is also unhandy to create more tracks for monitoring purposes.

I think that a simple checkbox into the preferences could be created: “mute” or “don’t mute” previous clips while recording tracks… - that’s all.

I will probably write into the Feature Requests and Suggestions section of this forum … asking for this…

bye,

Giorgio

I keep hoping someone comes in and says “geez you idiot all you have to do is xxx”

Use tape machine style monitoring, and set punch IN/OUT points. Will still be a little muted spot where the playback switches to recording, that trips up some musicians, especially piano pieces are horrible to record that way.
Duplicating tracks is the way I usually handle that, but yes it can get messy, linking tracks and keeping them in folders can help.

this is the method that does NOT solve the workflow :smiley: Obviously the current method works for traditional punch in recording. And the recently added punch point markers are a godsend. But as for the examples I provided, vocal harmony building and rapid guitar multi=tracking, the existing functions are of no use.

A couple questions about audio file and library management. Is there a way to globally set where audio files are recorded to? I would like to make it so any new project created automatically wants to store the project and audio files on a drive dedicated to audio. Also is there a way to move the included VST content/libraries to an external drive?