horizontal panner display lacks resolution ?

In trying to devise a test to measure what I think I heard when bypassing the pan control in the mixer (http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=233&t=85215), I unexpectedly found the panner in cubase can apparently be more finely controlled using the mouse scroll wheel.

On my (Mac) system with a Logitech mouse, it looks like rolling the mouse scroll wheel maps to panner changes such that 5 clicks forward on the mouse wheel increments the panner by an integer value of 1. The only exception to this is moving the panner off center to the first value, i.e., going from C to say L1 is only 3 clicks forward on the scroll wheel. So where the horizontal panner goes from L1 to hard left looks like it uses 99 integer values (which would need 8 bits). But then if we look at the number of bits to encode the mouse wheel clicks, then 99 integer values times 5 equals 495 clicks. Also add 3 clicks for the transition from C to L1. Then the total is 495 + 3 = 498 clicks on the mouse wheel (which would need 10 bits).

Logic Pro X apparently only has 0 to -64 integer values from center to hard left pan and 0 to +63 values from center to hard right pan; this requires 8 bits (including the sign bit). Maybe I have to re-map the mouse wheel with the Logic Mixer panner, but so far I have not seen the panner respond via an external controller with any finer resolution.

You can see this in the attached screen shots (RMS figures from Brainworx meter). Two stereo tracks of pink noise are mixed together with one stereo pair out of phase. As expected, the net output is zero. Shifting the pan left on one stereo track will however undo the cancellation and cause some signal to be generated in the right channel of the master output.

Cubase_1_MC _pan_left.png: 1 mouse click left from center generates -65.4 dB RMS in right channel (horizontal panner reads C )

Cubase_2_MC _pan_left.png: 2 mouse clicks left from center generates -59.8 dB RMS in right channel (horizontal panner reads C )

Cubase_3_MC _pan_left.png: 3 mouse clicks left from center generates -56.1 dB RMS in right channel (horizontal panner reads L1 ) - or 1 integer value pan left generates -56.1 dB RMS in the right channel.

LogicPro_1_notch_pan_left.png: 1 integer value pan left generates -41.9 dB RMS in the right channel.

It’s clear from the RMS (or if you prefer to read the Peak) levels - that there is finer pan control in Cubase (Pro 8) compared to Logic (Pro X 10.2).

It is a bit frustrating that the horizontal pan meter in Cubase cannot display values at the resolution of the mouse scroll wheel clicks. It would probably need to switch from a horizontal line to some kind of circle/arc or knob to do this (an arc or half circle in a rectangular box should be longer than a horizontal line). As is, if you click the panner off (with bypass), you may not be able to tell if the panner was mistakenly left at 1 or 2 clicks off center (especially in a complex mix with audio changing on tracks all the time).

… can only upload 3 attachments - will upload Logic screen shot next.
Cubase_1_MC_pan_left.jpg
Cubase_2_MC_pan_left.jpg
Cubase_3_MC_pan_left.jpg

… and here is the screen shot from Logic Pro (10.2).
LogicPro_1_notch_pan_left.jpg