Hot swapping MIDI and Audio devices

Hey,

I’m having some problems in general hot-swapping midi keyboard and audio devices - I have a bit of complicated setup anyway, with a FocusRite Scarlett 2i4, an RD 2000 keyboard which also acts as a Soundcard and an Arturia Keylab MIDI controller. All running into my laptop, which I occasionally unplug from the whole setup and take with me.

Obviously, Dorico can’t yet handle hot swapping Audio cards such as the focusrite (can we have a “refresh” button on the audio setup please?), although weirdly when I plug the laptop back in, if I haven’t in the interim restarted Dorico it will usually find my RD 2000 again.

The main issue for me is in MIDI - once I plug my laptop back in and turn my keyboards in, neither one is picked up by Dorico until I restart - I’m sure these are supposed to be hot swappable, and it might be a Mac OS issue. Either way - it’s annoying to have to restart Dorico after pin pointing a bit and thinking I can just input using my keyboard. Not sure what’s happening here?

Hi @eddjcaine , sorry, hot swapping MIDI devices in Dorico on Mac is the weak point. Though on Win it does work, it is not on Mac. Well, we want to make it happen, it’s in our backlog since long, but haven’t managed so far to really support it. But it’s on the list and eventually we’ll tackle it…
Not the answer you want to hear, but…

1 Like

Hi Ulf – On the subject of Mac audio … Yesterday I tried to use a pair of Bluetooth headphones with Dorico. I had to select them manually in Play preferences, and when I did, the only sample rate offered was 16000. This resulted in the music playing at 3× the speed (and a 12th higher).

Is this sort of limitation expected? I would even settle for 16K audio occasionally if Dorico could understand how to use it.

Hi @Mark_Johnson , here’s a section from the Dorico FAQ:

Mac:
On macOS, AirPods and Bluetooth headsets easily bring Dorico’s audio engine into trouble due to the low spec built-in microphone. So here is the recommended way of dealing with them on Mac:

• Stop Dorico
  • Make sure that the AirPods or Bluetooth headset is working with other apps, e.g. Apple Music.
  • Launch Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup
  • On the Audio Devices page create a new Aggregate Device
  • In that device let only the stereo outputs of the AirPods or Bluetooth headset participate, nothing else
  • Optionally, rename that device to your liking
  • (In case of need, here is a more detailed article on how to create an aggregate device.)
  • Start Dorico and go to Edit > Device Setup
  • In the list of ASIO drivers your newly-created aggregate device shall turn up now. Select it, close the dialog, done.
  • Don’t get tempted to select the other AirPods or Bluetooth headset related entries in the ASIO driver list: you might end up with situations where only the left audio will play out and it’s difficult to recover from that.
1 Like

Thanks very much! Sorry I had not found that.

True, it’s a bit difficult to find.

Ah that’s good to know - I had assumed that they were no longer compatible