Hotkey for selecting/activating event while comping

I’ve comped vocals (my own and others) and I end up doing probably 5 takes all the way though. I’ll do a few more if the singer is up for it (or it’s me :smile:) but I usually find that too many takes at once can burn out some singers. Actually, even when I have other guitarists over, they often don’t like to do take after take after take. Me, I’m pretty obsessive about the bass so sometimes when I’m trying to figure out a part (as opposed to recording a part that’s pretty solid because it’s a band I play a lot with), I often track dozens of passes. Then when I start to hear what I want, I’ll do a quick comp for reference, and then record a whole 'nuther fresh bass track as described above. It all depends.

One cool thing about comping that I learned years ago is that I record takes until I have one that is solid, but then I’ll record a “go for it” or two takes. That will often give me some interesting riffs or ideas I can comp in judiciously to make a track more interesting. I especially love doing this with vocalists and have gotten some amazing phrasings from these “we’ve got the safe bits, now let loose and have fun” takes.

There are lots of things I like about it. One the one hand, I have dual 3440x1400 ultra wide 34" monitors. I put the project view on the left and the full mixer on the right (with some other things, like the time display, control strip, etc.). I usually pop things up on the right when I need them, like plugin windows, etc. So on the one hand, iCPro gives me yet another screen to put some stuff on, like the navigation strip, click on/off, etc. (This is where I really wish iC Pro worked with the Magic Keyboard trackpad.)

Most important for me is that I’ve set up a few pages with convenient buttons, which can drive almost all of Cubase, except notably the previously mentioned, select+comp action. I use the 3rd display a lot, which puts the piano roll at the top and an array of button locations under that, with the transport controls at the bottom. Then I have Page 1 set up for recording, with buttons like Zoom to Project, To Previous Marker, Go to Project Start and a bunch of others. Toggle Return to Start is an important one for me. I usually like return-to-start but there are times in my workflow where I do not want to return to start, so while I also have this toggle bound to a shortcut, I find myself using the iC Pro button much more.

Aside: It would be great if Cubase gave you options to turn on or off Return to Start, not just toggle it. That, or give you some on-screen, non-transient notification of the return behavior. It’s hard to remember whether it’s toggled on or off!

Page 2 I use mostly for comping, so it’s got buttons for my colorization PLE presets, Zoom Track to N Rows buttons, etc.

I put Undo, Redo, and Save on every page.

Yup. I’ll do it if I don’t have my iPad handy. I use an M570 Logitech trackball with the middle scroll wheel, which is awesome for controlling faders almost like a fader on a control surface (which I don’t have), but it’s also useful for scrolling through the colors in the paint tool. I just never remember which direction to scroll to get the color I want, so assigning colors to PLE presets, and assigning those to iC Pro buttons does the trick for me. I never got around to assigning hotkeys to those colorization actions.

I generally don’t do this. Once I have the comp’d parts I like, I’ll go through and clean up crossover points, most of which comp tool handles beautifully, so I only have to manually crossover a few comp points. I generally leave this for nearly last since it’s harder to remove manual crossover points and re-comp if I decide on a different artistic choice. During cleanup I’ll also level and fix a few volume problems, take another last pass through any free warp fixes I need to fix timing (and well, admitedly variaudio for, ahem, vocals now and then - judiciously!). Lastly I’ll mute out any quite parts and fade in and out of parts with breaks for a nice clean track.