How a Paragraph Style Aligns to a Notehead

In addition to text alignment, it possible to add how a paragraph style aligns to the note it’s attached to?

Text isn’t attached to notes; it is attached to the rhythmic position that a note may or may not be on.

Right…. Hmm. It would be great to create custom text elements that could align with notes a certain way. That ability would come in handy for engraving examples for method books, which tend to add more indications than what would appear in normal music.

If you want text centered on a notehead, you can use (or define) a playing technique.

What other alignment might you be wanting?

Mark, I don’t see where to set a playing technique to center on a notehead.

For instance, in some exercises, the music example tells the student when to shift the hands with the word move. To be consistent, we are centering them over the rest where they are to shift. The word “move” does not default in a position I want to have consistently throughout. Also, if I had a paragraph style that would center on the notehead, I wouldn’t need to create a new technique for every custom indication the book introduces.

I’m trying to decide, for now, if I should continue to engrave these types of books using Sibelius. With standard repertoire, though, Dorico has been wonderful!

+1 for this. I’ve requested a custom offset on a per-paragraph-style basis, both horizontal and vertical. It would be a huge help.

1 Like

Now I see that I can create a playing technique and hit the Edit Composite button (:pencil2:) to create whatever and set an exact position.

It doesn’t work that way, sorry. PT’s are always placed the same way. What you can do is make the first element be a white space, then attach the “real” PT to that and move it around.

:weary: Oh well. It was a good thought. :nerd_face:

No, it does work. You just create a PT with two elements. The first is a “space,” and the second is your actual visible PT. You can drag around the PT in relation to the white space, which will be anchored to the note.

1 Like

Got it! Thank you, Dan!