How can avoid this when condensing?

Hello community, I was just doing the final check on a score and ran into this:

I was wondering if there’s a way to make the “whole” notes as just one? I’ve tried all the different condensing changes possibilities without much success…

Much obliged!

Without seeing the file (or at least what happens to the left and right of your screenshot) it’s impossible to give a definitive answer. However I find that from factory Notation Options, if I put a Condensing Change at the start of your screenshot that has nothing ticked apart from the relevant condensing group, thus forcing a new phrase, I get this:

1 Like

Thank you Leo, but it didn’t work for me… Could it be that they are different families i.e. a flute and an oboe?

So I tried using Manual Condensing to add the Clarinet to the mix, but I still get doubled notes…

Off the top of my head, this sort of thing isn’t compatible with manual condensing because manual condensing specifies stem directions and whole notes don’t have stems.

1 Like

Ha, ha, ha, ha! Good point, but is there a way to force a unison there?

I’m no longer in front of a computer, but seeing as I did so in my first reply, I would imagine so. Do your notation options (or your previous condensing changes) allow whole phrase and mid-phrase unisons? Does that group of players switch into something that isn’t unison without any rests in between? If so, have you added another condensing change where that change of texture takes place?

edit: just because I don’t like going to bed with an unanswered question:

1 Like

You’re a sweetie! No, none of your questions apply. This is the beginning of a new flow and this is the first condensing change in the whole project.

Your initial screenshot appears to show a unison melody? If they’re not automatically being put into one voice, that perhaps suggests there is a subtle difference somewhere in the phrase - and Dorico considers “phrases” to be anything and everything between rests. Different dynamics, slurs, articulations all count as differences.

Adding a condensing change and including that group on the top staff in it (even if you don’t change any of the options in the condensing change, other than activating the group) at the position where the parts are no longer in exact unison should restart phrasing at that position, and allow Dorico to recalculate this first phrase. (As Leo has said of course)

You can force a unison using manual condensing, of course, by putting all the parts into the same up-stem voice on the staff.

1 Like

Thank you Lillie! Putting them all on the same voice in manual condensing did the trick!