How can I export cycled MIDI to an audio file?

I just can’t seem to figure out how to do this with Cubase Elements 8, or even if it’s possible.

I’ve been orchestrating some game music. In my case, I’m using HALion Sonic SE and HALion Symphonic Orchestra for all tracks. The song begins with 17 measures that never repeat. Then, the song repeats between the beginning of measure 18 and the end of measure 80. The song sounds perfect when I play it with the Cycle feature enabled.

What I want to do is record the audio I hear through my speakers, but I want to record two full passes through the cycle area, then the beginning of a third pass that fades out. This is pretty typical for recording looping game music.

The problem is, the Audio Mixdown tool simply records one pass, and only through the cycle area. This won’t work for me. I’ve considered simply playing the song with a couple of cycles and somehow recording the audio that goes through the ASIO driver, but I can’t figure out how to do that either.

How can I accomplish this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a job for the Arranger Track (see manual). Create an Arranger Track and make events (in the usual way) for each section - bars 1-17, 18-80, 81-end. In the Arranger Track Inspector you will now have three parts showing, which you can run in any order and - more significantly for you - however many times you like each.

The audio signal never has to leave your computer during record. What you need to use is ‘Render in place’. I believe this is also implemented in Elements 8? It will create a new audio track under the midi track. Before creating you can optionally choose what to include in the signal path.

If not implemented you have to do this the old fashioned way by feeding the output from Cubase back into the input and record this on an audio track. In this case make sure your monitor settings are correct so you won’t get a loop.

Arranger track is certainly an option or you can just set range to those bars, Hit Ctrl K and enter 3 to make the repeats and then write the fade as automation before exporting the mixdown.