How can I fake a hyphen?

I would like to show a hyphen that connects a syllable at the end of a verse to one that’s at the start of the song. What’s the best way to do this? I tried it with a normal horizontal line, but that line is too long. Same problem with a syllable that needs to connect from before a repeat ending to the next repeat ending:

ALT + hyphen

1 Like

Thanks! Again, Alt+ saves my day.

Another question, should it also be used at the start of a repeat structure when the previous syllable starts elsewhere in a piece?
Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 14.22.24.png

Is this an acceptable notation when a word’s last hyphen ends in a 2nd repeat structure? (last lyric line) This happens with a normal hyphen and an alt+ hyphen. It looks a little weird.
Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 14.29.24.png

Yes, but the syllable should be centered with the others. Ignoring the hyphen.

I would say no. Don’t use a normal hyphen, just use a non-breaking hyphen at both ends.

Almost. That hyphen is too long to my eye… it looks like an em dash, which is different.

Also, you should add a non-breaking space between the syllable and the hyphen. Alt-Shift-Spacebar.

This is the hyphen I get when using Alt+ hyphen. I don’t see a way to use another hyphen-like line or making it shorter.
Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 17.25.44.png

Try typing Alt-hyphen in a word processor or some other program. I bet Alt-hyphen on your OS is producing a different character. That’s just not a hyphen in your example above! You can see it’s definitely a different character than the breaking hyphens.

Here’s what it should look like, including a non-breaking space:

non-breaking hyphen.png

Dan, I can’t reproduce your example above in Dorico. When I copy Alt-hyphen from a word processor, I get exactly the same character when I input Alt-hyphen diretly in Dorico – which is longer than a normal hyphen.
Which font did you use in your example?

Thomas

[Edit] In Academico and Times New Roman Alt-hyphen is longer than the normal hyphen. In Minion Pro both are the same.

Aha. Yup, that’s it. I used Minion Pro.

This seems like a Dorico problem. Alt-hyphen should produce a non-breaking hyphen that uses the same character as the conventional hyphen. Unless this was intentional. But that is clearly an em dash!

Dear Doricians,
I already had that hyphen problem. It appears that Academico does not provide a proper hyphen when using alt+hyphen in lyrics popover. It works when copying pasting from an external editor. I use Linux Libertine font for my lyrics, and use U+2011 unicode glyph or U+002D as a hard hyphen. Hope it helps!
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=108365&p=714818&hilit=hyphen+unicode#p714818