How can i get my dongle to work on my laptop?

Hi,

I just purchased a laptop and i installed Cubase Pro 9.
I plugged in my license dongle and ran Cubase but its telling me “No valid license found”, the other option is to “start license activation”.

However, Cubase still runs on my desktop. Im assuming that the license was never on the dongle to begin with. h

How can i make it so i can run Cubase on my both my desktop and laptop by plugging in my dongle?

Best,

On your desktop machine, run the eLicenser application, from where you should be able to see where exactly the Cubase license got installed.
Also, do you have the latest version of the eLicenser application installed on your laptop?

On the Desktop, under the eLicenser app i have a Key, USB Dongle and HDD showing.
Selecting the USB Dongle, shows all of my licenses and the HDD shows 1 expired license.

Both systems have their eLicenser app up to date (6.10.5.1210).

I just tried again and it doesnt work.
I also noticed (on the laptop) after plugging in the USB dongle and launching the eLicenser app, the eLicenser doesn’t show a picture of a USB Dongle, only the Key and HDD. The windows laptop plays a short jingle notifying me that something its plugged in though.

furthermore, on the desktop end, the picture of the USB dongle is still there even after unplugging the dongle.

I am using a USB hub connecting several USB peripherals (2 license dongles, keyboard, mouse, USB Wifi, webcam, 2 MIDI controllers).

And I presume that the Cubase license is indeed on the dongle?

Both systems have their eLicenser app up to date (6.10.5.1210).

I just tried again and it doesnt work.
I also noticed (on the laptop) after plugging in the USB dongle and launching the eLicenser app, the eLicenser doesn’t show a picture of a USB Dongle, only the Key and HDD. The windows laptop plays a short jingle notifying me that something its plugged in though.

Maybe worth applying the Maintenance function of the laptop’s eLicenser (certainly won’t do any harm :wink: )

furthermore, on the desktop end, the picture of the USB dongle is still there even after unplugging the dongle.

… even after quitting then relaunching the eLicenser? (in any case, I don’t think that is anything to worry about :wink: )

tbh, this is my first laptop and have never done this process before. I can only tell you what im observing :/.
my educated guess is, yes, its in the dongle.

Maybe worth applying the Maintenance function of the laptop’s eLicenser (certainly won’t do any harm > :wink: > )

i did :frowning:

We had a similar issue recently here.
Installing Cubase 9 over Cubase 8.5 made Cubase 9 say there was no license, but Cubase 8.5 would still run even if the dongle said it only contained Cubase 9.

We removed the dongle and it would still work (cubase 8.5) and then used the dongle on a second machine which then ran Cubase 9 perfectly.

This isn’t the case anymore, because after some time it stopped doing so and Cubase 8.5 was uninstalled because we weren’t going to use it anyway, but apparently the E-licenser system is kind of fragile.

Ugh,

i just started getting tech support from Yamaha but that means one response per business day and its a Friday :confused:

This is different from the OP issue. The non-working machine probably just needed to have its Elicenser software updated.

…and i found the problem, its me.

After moving my rackmounted computer, i found it plugged in the back of computer…:blush:
i had an inkling it would be something stupid…