How Can I Keep MIDI Track Mappings And Patches The Same On A Project After Upgrading A VST?

Hi all,

Sorry for the confusing title - hoping someone can help.

I’ve had this a few times over the years when upgrading a VST from say v1 to v2.

As an example I have a Cubase Pro 9 Project with 10 midi tracks. Each of these are mapped to an instance of a VST, v1. Everything is fine and normal.

However when a new major version of the same VST is released, I close Cubase and install this completely new brand new VST v2 on my system.

At this point when I next open the Project all of the tracks are still mapped to the v1 of the VST. As you would expect because the v2 is a separate VST instrument.

But is there a way that I can map them all to the new version of the VST without having to switch every track individually to the new instance of the VST manually and load each sound and VST settings individually etc?

The example I have right now is that I’ve just paid a load of money to purchase Miroslav Philharmonik 2. But I have loads of tracks using Philharmonik 1. The problem is that 1 is 32Bit and no longer works with Cubase Pro 9, hence why I upgraded.

But basically the problem is that when I load any of my previously created Projects in Cubase Pro 9 which have tracks assigned to Philharmonik 1, I get a pop-up on load saying cannot load Philharmonik 1 and then all of these midi tracks load unconnected.

If I then go through each instance that was previously connected to Philharmonik 1 and connect them to Philharmonik 2, the VST connects to these tracks but the instruments (patches) are not loaded - I’m just connecting the tracks to a fresh instance of the VST.

Ideally I would like these projects to open and know that any Philharmonik 1 track can be connected to Philharmonik 2 and the respective instruments loaded in for each track.

Can anyone please suggest anything to help?

It would be nice if I’ve missed something obvious.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not possible (in any DAW). From Cubase (and any DAW) point of view, it’s totally different plug-in, nothing in common.

Only thing I can think of is if the presets from the v1 plugin are compatible with the v2.

In that case you’d need to roll back to a 32bit version (or version with built in 32bit bridge) of Cubase, with V1 of your plugin installed, long enough to load your project and export your plugin presets somewhere, then once you’re back in the 64bit variant of Cubase, with the v2 plugin, see if you can pull those plugin presets back in per instance.

Example: Garritan’s ARIA player has had quite a few updates over the years. It comes in both 32bit and 64bit variants. It comes with plugins types other than VST; however, the library presets that one can save from inside the ARIA plugin are portable across all the different versions and plugin formats.

I have no idea if your Philharmonik plugin works that way, and allows you to pull the old v1 library presets into v2, but it might be worth a try.

Thanks Martin, really appreciate the reply and sorry for the late response. I was really hoping there was some-way you could tell the DAW that it was the same ‘type’ of plugin and apply the same instrument mappings and parameters to it once identified as a suitable ‘replacement’ VST, but obviously not! :mrgreen:

Thanks for that Brian, really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I think I’ll have to do something along those lines then for my Philharmonik. If the presets are compatible across both versions that’s my ‘simplest’ option. I’ll start with that. If not I’ll have to be writing down which instruments were in play for each and every track which could take a while! I have kept the latest 32bit version of cubase on the machine though so can do exactly that and load each project up and with a bit of luck export the presets to switch all the projects to 64bit. Fingers crossed!!

Also good to know the ARIA presets are fairly portable for the future - I have Instant Orchestra, not that I’ve had much time to explore it - something to look forward to for the winter! Thanks again.