How can I make a midi track a wave sample so to edit it?

I made a synth preset setting that I like and wrote a midi part for it, but the synth isn’t consistent when in playback. Do I need to make the midi track a wave sample to make it a consistent sample track. The reason I would do this is because every time I play the midi track the synthesizer doesn’t start the wave the same. Do I need to export the track to wave lab edit it there then re-import the track into CB 6 or is that repetitive. And, if I DID create a sample out of the midi track would I still be able to set automation data for the samples syth parameters.

Well you could just export the synth track and select import to pool and arrangement and that will make a wave file for you. Your problem of the synth not starting at the same place every time will still be a problem, unless you hit it lucky with the export.

You will no longer have control of the synth as its been set in stone (as it were)

As split says, you probably need to fix the underlying problem with your synth first. I can think of two situations in which the sound you get from the synth may not be what you’re expecting:-

Time to Respond to Control Data

You don’t say whether you’re using a VSTi or an external synth. What I say next applies particuarly to external synths but may also apply to some VSTi’s.

It’s good practice to use the first bar of the first MIDI track to set-up the instrument (programme and control changes etc) and allow these to “settle” before sending the first note information. This becomes especially important if you’re sending any SYSEX ahead of the note data.

The MIDI commands (and SYSEX) have to be sent from the track then received and actioned by the synth across a serial interface. This takes a finite time. Even after receiving a MIDI command, some synths are slower to respond than others, for instance, to a programme change. What the synth does when it receives a NOTE ON command whilst it’s still in the process of changing patch is usually undefined: you may hear nothing, the note sounding with the previous patch or, if you’re lucky, the note sounding with the new patch.

GM specifies a maximum interval between a synth receiving, say, a programme change and it being ready to use.

Try sending all the MIDI PC, CC and SYSEX settings to the instrument at the beginning of the track then starting the MIDI note data at the beginning of bar two. You might find that the instrument then always responds in the same way to the same note data (which is what it should do and is the basis of the MIDI concept).

Control Data Editing the Patch

Control data on the MIDI track maybe changing your “sound”. If you’ve edited (or created from new) a sound on your synth (and probably saved it so you can recall it later) but there are some CC messages on the MIDI track which edit your sound, then you may very well hear something different to what you expect.

Check your MIDI track to see if there are CC or SYSEX messages which might be “editing” the patch on the fly (eg a SYSEX reset). If you find them, remove them.

James