How can I merge MIDI from lanes into one track part?

When I am recording MIDI VSTi takes, I may record separate lanes for notes and controllers.
I want to stack them into one part when I have the takes I want.
If I just drop the lanes on top of one another, I cannot access all the layers in the MIDI editor, only the one on top.

I just want to clean it all up and put it into one part then ditch the lanes.

1 Like

Hi,

After moving all of the to one lane, glue them by using the Glue tool, please.

2 Likes

Be careful doing it as Martin suggests.

When gluing together midi parts like this there is a bug (or maybe a weird preference setting) where data from outside a visible parts boundaries ends up being erroneously included.

That may be difficult to understand so…
You have a take on lane 1, and a second take on lane 2.
You trim the beginning and end of the second take to just keep a few bars in the middle - but there is of course unwanted data still either side.
When you glue the parts together only the selected few bars of take 2 should be included, but often that outside data ends up in there as well.

You can get around this by making sure that you don’t trim parts, but cut them - that seems to work 100%

1 Like

Hi

Thank you for reminder.

I found much faster way, and it’s safe:

• Select all lanes.
  • MIDI > Freeze MIDI Modifiers (this will remove all the MIDI Notes out of the borders).
  • MIDI > Bounce MIDI.
    Done.

You can even make a Macro out of these two commands.

3 Likes

Thanks,

Will this merge stacked information from multiple lanes?
Some VSTi tracks have multiple takes vertically meaning one lane with notes, another with a CC and another with a pitch bend etc. which all add up to the “performance”. Will this add them all together into one lane?

Hi,

Yes, it DOES work for the multiple lanes, what I didn’t know before and what surprised me.

Thanks!