How can I move a lyric that collides up or down?

How can I move a lyric that collides up or down?

At the moment, unfortunately lyrics can’t be adjusted in Engrave mode (it is planned), though normally Dorico doesn’t create collisions between lyrics and other items. Would you be able to provide a sample project or a screenshot that shows the situation in which the lyric is colliding with something else?

One thing that might perhaps not be obvious is that Dorico doesn’t move staves further apart in galley view (except by the multiplication factor specified on the Vertical Spacing page of Layout Options), only in page view, and if you’re looking at galley view, the collision may not actually be there if you look in page view.

Hi Daniel,
I am in page view. The collision is occurring with two voices with differing lyrics but in the same verse.
In general, is it planned that a lot more items will be draggable? (for example, notes in Engrave mode).
Thanks,
Steve

Aha, how would you normally choose to resolve that collision? My own typical solution would be to put one set of lyrics above the staff. In case you haven’t found how to do that in Dorico, if you type Shift+up arrow while in lyrics input, you will move to a completely separate set of lines of lyrics above the staff. You can also change the placement of an existing line of lyrics from below the staff to above the staff by selecting any lyric and choosing Edit > Lyrics > Placement > Above. You can also set the placement of an individual lyric to be above or below the staff without changing the placement of the whole line by selecting the lyrics that need to move and using the Placement control in the Properties panel.

In general, the plan is definitely to enabling more items to be dragged in Engrave mode, but it’s not trivial to do so: each of the individual processors that handle the notations of specific items have to be updated to expect the position of the item to be something other than the calculated position, and we then also have to work through the potential knock-on effects of positioning for other items. So this is something we will continue to improve incrementally as quickly as we can, relative to our other priorities.

“Aha, how would you normally choose to resolve that collision? My own typical solution would be to put one set of lyrics above the staff.”

Different every time depending on what is on the staves above/below, wether the voices cross etc. Sometimes I find that in the stave (with or without a small white background) is clearest.

“In case you haven’t found how to do that in Dorico, if you type Shift+up arrow while in lyrics input, you will move to a completely separate set of lines of lyrics above the staff.”

Yes, found this. It works really well and is comprehensive. Lyric entry also works well and that has been glitchy in every other program I’ve used.

“In general, the plan is definitely to enabling more items to be dragged in Engrave mode . . . . we then also have to work through the potential knock-on effects of positioning for other items.”

Maybe there is a point at which the copyist should be given rope and have to deal with the consequences…!
This all reminds me of the olden day’s blurb of ‘expert systems’ with Sib on Acorn… Dorico is finally getting there.

I don’t disagree! Unfortunately that still leaves quite a lot of implementation for us to do in order to give you the rope to hang yourself. But we will get there.

Meanwhile, Finale gives you all the rope you need to hang yourself. :slight_smile:

It does. And I’ve worked out how to stay just shy of dying.
As Daniel says, it would be nice not to need so much rope.

Really! I’m trying to think when I have ever seen this in 40 years of choral singing. I would have thought any editor would resort to separate staves before that.

Unless you want your choristers to hang themselves…