How can I move all music bacwards?

I’d like to move the music starting in 2nd page backwards, so that I can fully fill the 1st page. how can I do that? Dorico always talks about systems, but I have no idea what that means. I just need to move the music. Thanks.

A system is a single run of music that may be one or more staves, grouped together. In your case, bars 1 to 3 of cello and piano are a system, bars 4-6 of cello and piano are another system etc.

It looks as though you’ve either tweaked the settings to prevent vertical justification from occurring, or you’ve manually dragged staves around.
Dragging staves up and down in Dorico will never provoke it to recalculate which systems fall on which page.

The best way to fix this is to first, go to the Engrave menu > Staff Spacing > Reset Layout. Then go to Layout Options > Vertical Spacing > Ideal Gaps and set the inter-system gap to something smaller.

If necessary you can also, in Engrave mode, click an object at the beginning of the bar where you want to start a page, Cmd/Ctrl-click an object at the end of the bar where you want to end a page, and in the left panel click Make Into Frame. You may need to insert System Breaks if Dorico tries to force too much music onto too few systems.

1 Like