How do I add "Div" above stave?

hello, in the image circled orange is the word “Div”. I don’t see a way to add this from the available menu items. Is this just text input or is there a method to input this?

And,

The red circled notes - are these just double notes or a result of the “Div”.

You can do it automatically using divisi.
Otherwise just use staff text.

I just created a Playing Technique set to a custom defined Playback Technique of “Do nothing” and made it a default so I can use it in any new document as needed.

1 Like

The main question is how you want the divisi to show in the part: 1 staff or 2?

If you need separate staves, then use the divisi feature and allow them to re-condense in the score with the condensing feature.

But this passage is simple enough to use just one staff. I would separate the voices for stems up & down all the way through, though – like the last bar in the image, where the rhythmic values differ. Players prefer to see separate stems, otherwise it looks like double-stops.

1 Like

For an orchestra musician, a double stop marked divisi means they have to play divisi instead of double stops. When ‘div.’ is omitted, they will divide anyway most of the time. If the composer/orchestrator wants a double stop, it’s good to mark the chord or passage ‘non div.’ to avoid questions during rehearsal. You can notate separate voices for clarity, but it’s not absolutely necessary.

1 Like

good point how is that done?

That’s good to know, I’m a complete noob. :+1:

The default primary voice is “stems up” (which it does automatically in the presence of any other voice, otherwise stems go normally). So create a new voice by typing Shift-V during note entry. Alternatively, you can select an existing note and move it to a new voice with Shift-V. By default this creates “Down-stem Voice 1”.

Once you have more than one voice on a staff, you can switch between voices with V (no Shift). See inputting notes into multiple voices and related pages in the User Guide for more details.

1 Like