How do I create a Bb part without key sig. from C part?

The title says it. I have a C trumpet part w/o key signature and want to create a Bb part w/o. Creating a new part layout and using a transposition override leaves me with a part with continuous D major key signature.

Maybe you could create a local key signature for that player ie put an open key signature for the Tpt rather than a C Major key signature? This way the C part would look the same but the Bb part would have no key signature but correct pitches?

Does this work? I’m not familiar with this stuff very much!

Choose an instrument that has the option “no key sig”. There should be some hirn like that, if there are no trumpets like that. This will avoid all kind of manipulations with key signatures… But you should need to rename the instrument.

1 Like

There are indeed trumpets in C, B flat and D both with and without key signatures that you can choose from.

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel for the clarification — I was answering from my phone and far from Dorico, and this is the kind of detail I don’t keep in my memory.

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of that. I thought I had the C trumpet w/o key sig. selected, but the score was an XML import and therefore this might have been the issue. Confusingly, the instrument was called “Trompete (C) (B Be)”, whatever this shall mean…

After changing the instrument to the proper one, I now was able to create the Bb parts w/o key sig. - what a relief! Thanks!

1 Like

One of the things we are planning to improve for MusicXML import in future versions concerns the way we handle instrument names. Dorico’s own smart features for handling staff labels can conflict with the names that are specified in the MusicXML file itself, resulting in these kinds of double or conflicting transpositions. We’re going to do some work to improve this.

2 Likes