How do I delete a page?

OK, I’d already deleted that project, but have simply deleted some bars at the end of this short piece, and as you can see I am left with a blank page. So, it may be a fact that I’ve unwittingly created a Page Override (and I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this term) - but I cannot get rid of it, and indeed one would expect that anything I can create in Elements I can un-create…here’s the file.

Whilst a powerful program such as this is bound to have a steep learning curve, I would expect that deleting superfluous bars at the end of a score wouldn’t leave a blank page, and, if the method to delete this orphan page is so obscurely wrapped up in Master Page settings or Engraving settings (that aren’t available to me in Elements) then I look forward to having lots of blank pages, as I always tend to create far more bars than I end up using…

That aside I’m halfway through my demo period of Elements and am finding it a joy to work with regarding lyric placement - the one area I was really struggling to get good results with in other programs. Just a pity that as a retired academic I have no way of accessing a discounted full version, and will have to manage with Elements. I just hope there are not too many missing features from the full version to frustrate me!
Falling Rain - EMPTY PAGE.dorico.zip (472 KB)

You have overrides on all three pages, and where there are overrides, Dorico assumes you want to hang onto your work, and thus won’t delete overridden pages (even if they become blank).
The hole that you’ve fallen into (and I didn’t realise it was there, as I’ve never previously used Elements) is this:
You’ve edited the individual header at the top of each page, to remove the title. You’ve also edited the automated Flow Heading on page one, rather than editing in the Project Info dialog.
I guess one way to prevent blank pages from appearing would be to go into Project Info and change Flow 1’s Title to a single blank space (" "). This will prevent a flow title from appearing at the top of each page, without introducing overrides - the {@flowTitle@} token remains in place, but resolves to a single space. Then manually delete the information in the Flow Heading at the top of page 1, as you’ve already done.

The bad news is there’s no way to reset an overridden layout to its defaults from within Elements. The good news is that you’re so limited in terms of what you can do, that creating a new Full Score layout from Setup mode, implementing any individual tweaks again, and deleting the existing one should take you no more than a few minutes.

I’m sorry that it hadn’t occurred to me that overrides can be introduced from Write mode…

To help you out a a bit, I edited your file to remove the overrides. And, I edited the Flow Header to remove the Flow Number. So, you can just edit the Flow Name in the Project Info dialog to get your desired header. Hope it helps.

Edit: Just updated it to remove the Flow Title on subsequent pages.
Falling Rain 2.zip (471 KB)

Thanks for that Craig - appreciated! It feels like awful lot of organisation and settings to simply remove a page, or to ensure that pages don’t end up blank. I think the problem for me (and possibly for others coming to Dorico at V3) is that it’s not easy to see which features are not available in Elements - if I search a setting or task, I am generally sent to the full Dorico manual, only to find that it’s a feature that can only be edited in Engraving mode for example. I’m struggling to get my head around the terminology - Flows, flow headers in “code” , overrides, tokens, etc.

I’m just downloading the full PDF manual and will take some time to read through - I guess opening a template and just winging it, starting to score and hoping to navigate intuitively has its limitations!
Thanks again for your help

Hi Dr Scardo.
It could maybe help to read this translation I made from Dan Kreider’s guide, to make sure you understand the concepts that Dorico is built upon. I leave it there, do as you wish.

I’ll take another look at how & where this is explained in the Elements manual, and see if I can make some improvements without going too deeply into Engrave-mode-y concepts that aren’t in Elements at all :slight_smile:

Hi Marc - I live in France, but am English, and my French is not that great! But thanks for sharing, maybe it’ll help my French more than it’ll help with Dorico, so it’s a win win as they say!

Or you could read the (excellent) original one!
https://www.dankreider.com/dorico-resources

If you’ve downloaded the Elements manual PDF, I recommend having a read of some of the initial chapters - particularly in Dorico Elements concepts, and Design philosophy and higher-level concepts in particular - it gives a pretty comprehensive introduction to Dorico’s approach and compares it a bit to other softwares, which I think is quite helpful. (I’m fairly sure Daniel Spreadbury wrote this bit!)

I wonder if someone out there can help me. Pages mode is driving me insane and I’ve got almost no hair left to pull out.

In different flows I simply want to either delete pages that I don’t want - but it seems that I can’t do that in a really straight-forward way - although I’m probably missing something.

Or I can’t seem to move pages in a flow unless they’re over-ridden?!?

Do the pages you’re trying to delete have music on them or are they empty?

Dorico will automatically create enough pages so that the flows within the layout are all visible… I think…

Hello

yes the pages I wish to delete have music on them

I’m pretty sure it’s not possible to have only part of a flow in your layout. You can have only 1 flow but not part of a flow.

Can you give a bit more detail about what you’re trying to achieve?

thanks for coming back to me

I’m trying to get rid of these two pages in the middle of the flow[quote=“DanielMuzMurray, post:33, topic:113875, full:true”]
I’m pretty sure it’s not possible to have only part of a flow in your layout. You can have only 1 flow but not part of a flow.

Can you give a bit more detail about what you’re trying to achieve?
[/quote]

I must say I find it quite strange that there is such an unbelievably difficult process to delete unwanted pages

Also that you can’t move pages that don’t have over-rides or am I missing something

How many flows have you got assigned to this layout? Would you be happy to share your file?

sure, there are 3 flows, but to be honest I find the whole ‘flow’ business really complicated - really regretting leaving finale, but it’s too late now

thank you I’ll forward the file[quote=“DanielMuzMurray, post:36, topic:113875, full:true”]
How many flows have you got assigned to this layout? Would you be happy to share your file?
[/quote]

AMWM Scene 2 Saturday.dorico (2.1 MB)

It looks as though the two pages you’re trying to delete contain Flow 1 (“Scene 1”) and Flow 2. If you go to Setup and click your score, then untick Flow 1 and Flow 2 down the bottom, they (along with the pages they’re on) will automatically be removed.

Flows are just separate “chunks”(?) of music: a movement, a song, an exercise…and they can be as big or as little as you like.

It seems as though you want pages with dialogue and then pages with music (scenes)?

Really, thank you for coming back to me. There doesn’t seem to be an ability to untick the flows?

Go to Setup mode.
Select the score layout in the right panel.
Untick the redundant flows in the bottom panel.