How do I disable the Steinberg Hub?

I usually open files directly and it’s actually confusing since it opens regardless, listing possible files I might want to open, etc., etc. Is there any way to just disable it from automatically opening whenever I open Dorico? (I did a search here but didn’t find anything). Thanks in advance -

• D.D.

There is a setting for the Hub’s behaviour in the Application Preferences. Have you tried that?
Preferences > General, under “Window”.

I don’t see that in preferences. Could you post a screenshot? Thanks!

Preferences is Ctrl+comma. Look under General. Something like “when window is closed, do [this action].”

Strange - I already had it set to “when window is closed, do nothing”. However, the Hub still opens whenever I first open Dorico (whether I’ve selected an actual file in the Finder to open or not). Perhaps that setting only applies if you already have Dorico open and wish to close an existing window/project and open another, etc. (vs. when you’re opening Dorico from “scratch” with a file from the Finder, etc.?) So still wondering if there’s a way to completely disable the Hub. It’s particularly strange to me when I’ve yet to open Dorico and choose (as I often do) a file in the Finder, right-click and specify to open it with Dorico. Since I’ve already got a file I’m opening, it feels like there’s no need to see the Hub at that point, even though at present it still opens even as it also simultaneously opens the file I’ve selected from the Finder (my two cents).

Best and thanks -

• D.D.

There is no way to completely disable the Hub window.

I presume that has something to do with Steinberg?

• D.D.

No, it has nothing to do with “Steinberg”. The Hub window is useful and we don’t have any current plans to make it possible to disable it completely.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I had just presumed as much since it’s called the “Steinberg Hub”, plus I couldn’t understand why I see it even after loading a Dorico file directly from the Mac finder when first opening the program (in fact its slightly confusing since among what it shows you is a list of files one can open)…As always, though, just my “nit-picky” two cents :slight_smile:
Best and thanks -
D.D.

we don’t have any current plans to make it possible to disable it completely

the hub is the only way, the decelopers can reach the user directly, in case there is relevant or important information. If the hub window was completely disabled, the users would be left on their own…

Hello Daniel,

That, of course, is a matter of opinion and I disagree. Personally I find it “unuseful” whilst, naturally, others here might have a different view.

Just about every other program I use that has a “hub” or ‘Start’ window has an option to respect the different preferences of users. Some examples include: Cakewalk, MuseScore, PagePlus and several others besides. I also believe steinberg’s own Cubase has an option.

Whilst I support and admire hugely Dorico and the outstanding team, I do find it disappointing, if not somewhat arrogant in this particular instance, that they feel unable to offer a simple option so readily available in just about every other program.

(Opt-in) mailing list? This forum? :slight_smile:

• D.D.

I think you’re a bit quick to pull out words like “arrogant” here, Michael. Every desired change to software requires time to implement, time to test, time to document, adds maintenance burden, etc., etc. We have limited time and have to prioritise our development tasks very carefully. Disabling the Hub window is non-trivial because Dorico is a single document interface application: when you close the final project window, we have to do something to prevent Dorico from quitting on Windows. Maybe you would be OK with Dorico quitting when you close the last project window, but not every user would be, and at that point we then have more development tasks to handle: more options to control whether or not Dorico should quit, and if it doesn’t quit, what should happen instead? Should it start a brand new project, or show the file picker to prompt you to open another window? What happens if you close the new project window or cancel the File picker? Should it then actually quit, or should it show the empty project window or file picker again? And so on, and so on…

The Steinberg Hub window is useful. It provides a list of the projects you’ve been working on, it provides easy access to templates for new projects, it includes links to this forum, the YouTube channel and other resources that are helpful in using and learning the software, and it provides links to new videos as they are added and news posts added to the blog, which help to keep users of this fast-developing software informed.

Thanks Daniel, this is a very interesting explanation!

Just for the record, and without prejudice to the usefulness of the hub or what the “right” answer should be, other programs I use almost universally have the behaviour that the welcome window / new document window / “hub” is displayed automatically when the program is launched directly from its own icon, and when the last document is closed. But no other program (that I’ve briefly surveyed on my system) displays its welcome window when the program is launched via opening a document from the OS.

Also just for the record, other programs that I use (Samplitude comes readily to mind) have a similar window, with a ticked box that says “show this window every time the program is launched”. One can untick the box. It was one of the first things I did with Samplitude years ago, and I have never felt any need for this window since. Like “wizard windows”, the Dorico hub seems equally dispensable to me, as I mostly start the program by clicking on data files.

David

Precisely and that was my original thought - it seems strange that it pops up even when opening a Dorico file directly from the Finder, as I often do. Clearly in that case I just want to get to the actual specific Dorico session as quickly as possible and certainly don’t need to see a listing of other files I’m not interested in opening, etc. It’s a mild annoyance but just didn’t seem consistent with how beautifully thought through so much else of Dorico clearly is.
Best -
D.D.

(NB: Mac user so don’t know if this is true for Windows)

I’m not sure I’ve got the point of Daniel’s explanation. If I start Dorico and then just close the Hub, Dorico is still active and I find myself in the same position that I would be were the Hub not presented at startup. Menu bar at the top of the screen and I’m good to go. Likewise, I can close the Dorico workspace and Dorico is still alive and kicking.

I, too, dislike the hub appearing when I double click a Dorico file from the Finder. That seems a nonsense…

FWIW, Logic (another single window app) doesn’t terminate when you close the final window. Of course, it’s Mac only so I can’t say what it would (hypothetically) do under Windows.

By the way, I did some work on a score 2 days ago saved and closed in an orderly fashion, opened up Dorico yesterday and my most recent work was NOT listed in the Recent Files.

Dorico doesn’t display the hub when I open a project from the Explorer. Is this different between the Windows version and the Mac version?

I’m not sure I understand the problem here: unless Dorico behaves very differently on others’ Macs than it does on mine, when you start Dorico by dragging a file onto its dock icon or by double-clicking a project, the Hub window does appear until the project has been opened, but then it closes once the project is open. It opens because of the different way the instruction to open a project is received during the start-up phase on Windows and Mac, but since it closes again and you can’t interact with it in the meantime, it’s harmless. I think there’s already been too much virtual ink spilled over this issue.