How Do I Do A MIDI Split In Cubase 7?

Here is my situation. I have Cubase 7.0.7.

I have a patch made in the new Falcon VST. Actually, it’s 4 separate programs as a multi. Programs 1 - 3 are drums and program 4 is a bass patch.

I have programs 1 - 3 mapped from C0 to B1

I have program 4 mapped from C2 to C8.

The problem is, programs 1 - 3 are controlled by an arp and every time I hit a note on the bass (C2 and up) it starts the arp pattern all over again. So I need to put the bass on a different MIDI channel so that this doesn’t happen. Problem is, when I put the bass on channel 2, I get no sound on those keys.

I need to be able to do a MIDI split so that I cab play both the drums and the bass together without the bass triggering the drum apr each time I hit a bass note.

How do I do this?

Hi,

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your question very well. Do you need the split on the Input side to Cubase, or on the Output side from Cubase to the VST?

If you need t do it on the Input side, you can use Input Transformer of the track. If you need to do it on the Output side, you can use Transformer MIDI Insert.

I need to do it on the output side from Cubase to the VST. I figured it out using MIDI modifiers and filters but in order to do it this way I have to duplicate the tracks and highlight them both so that they’re both being played when I play the keyboard.

If there is a way to do this with only 1 track, great, but if not, this workaround is satisfactory.

Hi,

Then I would recommend you to add a MIDI Insert > Transformer.
Filter Target:
( Type Is | Equal | Note | And
Pitch (Value 1) | Less or Equal | B1 )

Action Target:
Channel | set to fix value | 2

Function:
Transform

See attached screenshot, please.

This will change the MIDI Channel of all notes bellow C2 to MIDI Channel 2, while playback, on the output side.

Thanks. That’s helpful to know too.

In Falcon, have you set the slot for the bass to MIDI channel #2?

Anyways, I think it is actually Martin’s first solution, the Input Transformer, that will do the job best… the main difference being what actually gets recorded on the MIDI track… with the Input Transformer, notes C2 and above will be recorded as belonging to ch #2, whereas, with the Transformer Insert FX, the split will happen post recording (or post MIDI thru). The Input Transformer can be set up almost identically to Martin’s instructions for the Transformer Insert FX, but, in the case of using the Input Transformer, don’t forget to set the MIDI channel for the track to “Any” (otherwise, it will just put everything back to the assigned channel again anyways :wink: ).

(errm… shouldn’t the 2nd line of the upper section be…
Pitch (Value 1) | Bigger or Equal | C2
… if I am reading correctly, Wagtunes wants the bass to play on channel 2, yes?)