How do I export an Audio track to my desktop?

I’ve been using PT for many years, but there are too many bugs in 11 on the Midi side. When CP8 was released, I bought it and knew it was the right DAW for me. There’s also a certain sound to Cubase which is better than any other DAW IMO.

PT is great for certain applications, but when it comes to Midi, it’s a mess, so I decided it was time to look elsewhere. Cubase is really an outstanding DAW.

I hear ya. For me, the moment came when I first used Nuendo 1. I could hear the difference… and the feel and workflow was closer to a console than anything alse out there by a mile (as much a DAW ever could).

I gave PT a serious shot when setting up my home studio business, but, since my skillset is based on production/augmentation of clients’ songs, I felt that trying to do songwriting in PT would be the death of me. Throw in all the added costs, and sticking with Cubase was a no-brainer.

Glad to have you onboard! :wink:

Here’s what I see in my Key Commands.

When I Add Command in the Macros section, it doesn’t do anything. I’m thinking I should be able to.

Thanks! I think PT is a no brainer when it comes to Post Prod., it’s simple but my main intention is to write and produce music. I did a lot of work in PT, but not without the headaches. I even sold my D Command and HDX card for an SSL Matrix and MadiXtreme. Works like a gem. :slight_smile:

This section is, admittedly, bizarrely designed.

You only go into that “Show Macros” section at bottom to create/edit macros. Within that section “Add Command” means “add a new file menu action / command to a macro”

Once a macro is created, it will show up in the Macros folder in the regular Key Commands window. Note how, in my screenshot, the macros pane is hidden.

Just hide the macros pane and look for the “Macros” folder in the top pane.

Ah, that explains it. I was clicking on Add Command in the lower section, and it would copy the last Macro created in the folder.

I’ll give your info a try. Thanks again.

By the way, Why Cubase and not Nuendo?

Cubase is Nuendo. Shortly after Nuendo’s release, they gave the engine to Cubase. All versions since are “Nuendic.”
For me and my needs, Nuendo made no sense: it’s a thousand dollars more, for mostly ultra-high end post-production features.

I did use Nuendo in the studio I worked at for years though. Rock-solid. On Windows 2000! :stuck_out_tongue:

YES!! That worked… :slight_smile:

Only if you have a minute, can you check if the Macros is identical on your end?

Export selection on selected track(s)
Transport - Locatots to Selection
Edit - Solo
File - Export Audio Mixdown

I may have clicked on Add Command on the lower section, so I don’t know if I changed anything.

Thanks again.

That’s what I thought about the post features in Nuendo. Unless I start doing post, which is not on my agenda, I’ll stick with Cubase.

I noticed you’re running 10.9. I’m on 10.10.1. Any reason why you haven’t updated?

I take baby-steps with upgrades. Sometimes waiting years to upgrade the whole rig—since I have clients relying on my system to be stable.

I keep a second bootable hard drive as a “sandbox.” On that, I’ve installed 10.10. And, guess what? C8 won’t even open on it! Which is exactly why I go so slowly on upgrades.

C8 on 10.9 is… flaky for me. Had some serious issues. Hoping the first patch will settle them, 'cos I love the new features. For now, C8 is just for play. I don’t dare use it in front of clients. I’m sticking with 7.5 for now.

That’s strange. I’ve been able to work with C8 without any issue’s. I have a back up to 10.9.5 just in case, but everything’s been work relatively smooth.

If you have a moment, can you check if the Macros is identical on your side?

…Transport - Locatots to Selection
…Edit - Solo
…File - Export Audio Mixdown

I may have clicked on Add Command on the lower section, so I don’t know if I changed anything.

Thanks!

That’s the odd thing about this upgrade—huge differences between users. Many people are just sailing along with it—many of us are experiencing fatal issues. All upgrades to this point have been fantastic.

If you have a moment, can you check if the Macros is identical on your side?

…Transport - Locatots to Selection
…Edit - Solo

Thanks!

That macro worked fine for me. If you want to not have to click on the clip itself—just the track—try this:

…Edit - Select All on Tracks
…Transport - Locators to Selection
…Edit - Solo

Great, thanks for checking and your suggestion. I was just wondering why Solo was included and if so, if there’s a way to un-solo after the file has been exported.

Didn’t you make this macro? I assumed you wanted solo on there! LOL

If you’re going to do a straight export, then it’s going through the master bus. You have to solo to get just that track.

What I’d do is remove the solo, and, once the Export Audio dialog is up, change it to Channel Batch Export and tick off the box next to that track’s name. That way, no need for solo.

If you do want to stick with it the way it is, then just hit “S” after mixdown to unsolo. You can’t make it part of the macro 'cos the macro can’t function after the audio mixdown window opens.

Honestly, to do what you’re doing, I’d do this on my rig (my custom hotkeys):

• Select the clip
  • hit “P”
  • ctrl+shift+X to bring up Export Audio
  • tick Channel Batch Export and tick the track

Or, if that file is your final mix, I’d just go into Finder and copy it to desktop.

I didn’t make the Macro. I’m trying a few things and noticed that it doesn’t do one thing PT does. In PT, when you highlight the Mix track entitled: “Sunny” for example, you click OK and Sunny ends up on the desktop, which is what I wanted it to do. But in Cubase, “Sunny” being the original track, lets say you have a second Mix track entitled: Sunny TV version, when I export it, the title name doesn’t follow. It exports as “Sunny”, instead of “Sunny TV version”.

Do you have to click on Channel Selection (Sunny TV version) in the Export Audio Window in order to export the right file name?

Ah. That explains that. :wink:

I’m trying a few things and noticed that it doesn’t do one thing PT does. In PT, when you highlight the Mix track entitled: “Sunny” for example, you click OK and Sunny ends up on the desktop, which is what I wanted it to do. But in Cubase, “Sunny” being the original track, lets say you have a second Mix track entitled: Sunny TV version, when I export it, the title name doesn’t follow. It exports as “Sunny”, instead of “Sunny TV version”.

Do you have to click on Channel Selection (Sunny TV version) in the Export Audio Window in order to export the right file name?

In the normal Audio export, it’s only concerned with main out busses. So it will name the exported file according to (default) the Project name, or the output bus name.

This is why I advocate Channel Batch Export function for what you’re doing. (Also why I initially had made that snarky comment about it being “better” than PT—'cos the export dialog has become very powerful and customizable). :wink:

I’ve ticked off “Channel Batch Export”; Ticked off the Track I want to export and then, in “Naming Schemes,” chosen “Channel Names”.

As you can see, it will name the file exactly what it’s named in Cubase. The Export dialog will remember these settings for your next bounce.

I do, however, wish that Cubase had that exact feature you’re talking about. That’s simple and awesome.

Clicking Channel Batch Export did it. Too bad the track name isn’t automatically checked off in the Channel Selection window.

That would be a neat feature: whatever’s selected when you open Export Audio dialog, will be selected for batch exports.

Right, or it exports the last Mix printed with the correct title. That would be awesome.