How do I find out what "too hot" is for my computer?

I know my motherboard, and have the Intel website up, but can’t find that info in there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I found these two spec sheets on Intel’s site:

however, I don’t know which one applies to your processor (as both are Pentium 4 500s and your sig just says Pentium 4 550).

According to those spec sheets, your case temperature should not exceed 67.7 degrees Celsius (the smaller of the two TCase figures).

From my personal experience (this is based on the newer multi-core processors):
CPU temperature should (during full load) only briefly climb above 60 degrees Celsius.
Internal case temperature should be as close to room temperature as possible, but can fluctuate (typically in the high 20s to mid 30s, given a properly ventilated case and a comfortable room temperature).

Hey Shinta - Thank you so much! Mine is a D915PBL. Temps are always less than 42 degrees, according to defraggler, so I guess even if there’s a difference between mine and the ones you looked at, my temps are probably OK.

Thanks again!

I was actually looking at processors, not motherboards.

Ah, I have so much to learn, of course you were. No wonder I couldn’t find temps there!

When I get home I’ll see what I can find out on the Intel site re: processor temps. I’m downloading Speccy to read the temps, hopefully it will be able to read the individual processor temps.

Now that I think of it … when I ran defraggler, it gave a temperature for each disk. How does that make any sense … unless the two processors are mapped uniquely to 1 disc each?

As I said, I have much to learn. But thank you for looking that up and pointing me in the right direction, Shinta215!

Hi Shinta - Here is my processor, from Speccy, I can’t quite tell which of the two processors you pulled up it is:

Intel Pentium 4 550
Cores 1
Threads 2
Name Intel Pentium 4 550
Code Name Prescott
Package Socket 775 LGA
Technology 90nm
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Family F
Extended Family F
Model 3
Extended Model 3
Stepping 4
Revision D0
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Virtualization Unsupported
Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled
Fan Speed 2470 RPM
Bus Speed 200.0 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 800.0 MHz
Stock Core Speed 3400 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 200 MHz
Caches
L1 Data Cache Size 16 KBytes
L1 trace cache 12 Kuops
L2 Unified Cache Size 1024 KBytes
Core 0
Core Speed 3399.9 MHz
Multiplier x 17.0
Bus Speed 200.0 MHz
Rated Bus Speed 800.0 MHz
Thread 1
APIC ID 0
Thread 2
APIC ID 1

BUT - I looked at my BIOS - Processor temp is 78 degrees, which is hotter than the higher of the two Case Temperatures in the links you listed (72.8 degrees for one processor, 67.7 degrees for the other).

So, I guess I have a cooling problem, maybe that’s why my CPU runs so high on small projects (90%+). Mr. Parrotspain and others is able to run large projects in Cubase 6.5 on XP SP2, so I’m holding out hope that I can at least do a little better. Does anyone know if getting a video card with more RAM (current card has 128 MB), and adding more RAM to the system (going from 2MB to 4MB) might help bring down CPU%'s and case temps (maybe in the current situation there’s a lot of “thrashing” going on)?

Thanks -

To be honest, I’m not going to be much help there.

I don’t have any experience building a system with the older Pentium processors.
The first computer that I built (and cooled) was a newer Core 2 Duo system in a fan-heavy case.
The 60 degrees thing was the default alarm threshold for CPU temp from an ASUS monitoring program

It may be that the older processors naturally ran hotter than their modern (multi-core) counterparts.

The main thing is to keep your case cool so that your processor’s heatsink can maintain it’s cooling efficiency.

Hi Shinta -

Yes, apparently this processor, with the unnoficial name of “Prescott” ran quite warm, indeed (I am told) it was referred to by the nickname of “Press-hot”. But still, that’s not quite the same as “Press-Melt” which I’m wondering whether is going to happen to my computer now! :laughing:

But thank you very much for what you did contribute - which basically set me on the path to understanding about processors a lot more. I’ll post back here if I learn anything else. Gonna try other stuff before messing with the processor, seems reasonable!

Take care -

How do I find out what “too hot” is for my computer?
If nothing is working anymore it was too hot for your pinto :wink:

Incredible to see how much energy you put into ponto extrem tuning :wink:

Love it if somebody doesn’t want to give up

Go for it .

Its the eye of the tiger …

Greetz Bassbase

GIve up? What does that mean? :smiley:

Thanks, Bassbase.

Your sig says, “Together we know nearly everything”.
Well, YOU must know a lot about my processor temps and specs, because I don’t! :laughing: :smiley:

Your sig says, “Together we know nearly everything”.
Well, YOU must know a lot about my processor temps and specs, because I don’t! > :laughing: > > :smiley:

Na not me Shinta :wink: or another not yet so forumactive cubaseuser

I only know tha now nearly 20years ago i assembled my 486er pc and a month later the first pentiums chips came out.

A friend of mine was so happy that he called me letz built my pentium. All went fine until he plugged in the processor and accidently hit the powerbutton of the case. So PC stated up without cooler on it (a small fan in those days)
after 2 secs he reacted and disconected the powercable. Uff and was wondering if processor didn’t got to hot and tested it with his thumb. … It was really hot skin of his thumb was now perfect for crime no fingerprints could be made with this thumb ;9 and he also was more carfully with the next pc he assembled. Processor was still ok :wink: thumb not :wink:

Greetz Bassbase

Does anyone remember from the old P4 days - would activating the 3GB switch be expected to lower processor temps at all?

Also - would reducing the size of the page-file reduce the amount of time the disc is being accessed, and thus reduce processor workload/temps as well?

My high cpu loads are associated with throttling according to “RMClock”.

Thanks -