How do I link the VST Sound folder from 6.5.5 to 9.5.1?

The VST Sound folder doesn’t need to be loaded in each version of Cubase does it? Does Cubase 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, etc., have to have it’s own VST sound folder? This seems wrong to me because it takes up takes up too much HD space. Surely we can link all these various versions of Cubase to ONE VST Sound folder?

As far as I can tell there is not an option for this. Does anybody have a solution? Thanks in advance!

They share the vstsounds, that’s why updates are small compared to full.
So no waste of space here.

Yes, starting with Cubase 6 all of the content for the stock plugins are installed in the same folders. Running the full 10 GB Cubase installer ensures that you have all of the content and all of it is up to date.

Really? Wow, that’s good on Steinberg. BUT… My confusion is that Cubase 9.5.1 has it’s own VST Sound folder and Cubase 6.5.5 has it’s own VST Sound folder. So… If Cubase 6.6.5 has a 7G VST Sound folder, are you saying that Cubase 9.5.1 will defer to the 6.5.5 folder? Or are you saying that I should delete the 6.5.5 folder and load the 9.5.1 folder and 6.5.5 will find it?

The way things sit now, I have not updated the VST Sound content along with the 9.5.1 install because I didn’t want to have 14G of duplicate VST Sound folders. How does this elimination process of duplicate folders automatically happen? Or do I need to delete my 6.5.5 folder info?

You probably just picked a different “install for all users” setting for 6.5 than the one you picked for Cubase 9.5.

You can try renaming the 6.5 VST Sound folder and see if it can still load the content for Halion Sonic SE, Groove Agent ONE and REVerence. If yes, you can just delete the folder.

OK, I somewhat understand… Where is the the ‘common’ (for 6.5.5 and 9.5.1) VST Sound folder supposed to be? I’ll just move it there. What I know for certain is that 9.5.1 cannot be redirected to the folder in 6.5.5.

And actually, what exactly is supposed to be in the respective VST Sound folders for each Cubase version? Is it not supposed to have the sound banks for Padshop, Halion, Reverence, Loop Mash, etc.? I do not want duplicate VST Sound folders on my C HD and I don’t have them now. Maybe I should just uninstall Cubase 6.5.5 and Cubase 9.5.1 and reinstall ONLY 9.5.1? What do you suggest, Romantique?

Hey there, thanks for the help that you were able to give me, romantique and peakae. I contacted Steinberg and talked to a Jeff there who told me I had to uninstall 6.5.5 and 9.5.1 and then reinstall 9.5.1. He was right, after doing this all is good, everything is in the 9.5.1 VST Sound folder and everything works very well!