How do I raise a technical support ticket (UK)

In fact, H.W. Fowler has been indifferent to split infinitives and final prepositions since the 1920s, at least.

Such prescriptions were introduced by Victorian schoolmasters in an attempt to tidy up the English language and to have something which they could drill into their charges and then test them… on.

Analyse ought to get an S, from its Greek roots, (as analysis); it was one of the list of exceptions to the rule that words should prefer -ize. It is only in the last 30 years or so that “British” English decided not to bother and spell everything -ise. The OED still favours -ize for most words.

But I think we should give some allowance for the fact that forum replies are written as an immediate outpouring of thought, rather than a piece of prose that has been laboured over and honed to perfection.

@andrewds Please don’t take me too seriously. I would never criticise posts made by the Dorico team, often in their own time out of hours, simply on the basis of grammar. As a (very) amateur polyglot, I’m an expert in mangling grammars myself.

I picked the three of the most trivial examples of hyper-pedantry. Anyway, let’s be friends, though perhaps not pen-pals.

Well, I am relieved to hear that it was satire, as suggested by dankreider. I did not detect that, not having read the preceding message, which looked like a rant.

1 Like

Ha! Yes the satire was a bit too subtle for me as well, the first time around…

Nine times out of ten when a Cubase user accidentally posts here, the tone is markedly different.

To return to the point at hand: @Crotchety, you don’t say what problem you are having other than that you cannot submit a ticket via MySteinberg. If you would like, you could send me a private message on the forum with a description of your problem and I can pass it on to the right person, or you could email info at steinberg dot de, which will get a ticket into the support team’s queue where it will hopefully find its way to the right person.

Back on-topic, Daniel has been back to me. The technical support option not being available is a know bug that affects certain product/version combinations and will be sorted out as soon as resources allow (apparently, they are busy re-doing the licensing system). In the meantime, any of the other options will get your message through to the right people.

You’re obviously a far more civilised (or should that be civilized?) bunch over here, judging by the photos, anyway, so you may be relieved to hear I’m feeling a lot less crotchety today :wink:

Fascinating debate about grammar, btw. I’d forgotten about Fowler’s. Maybe I should ask Santa for a copy…

Cheers, all!

1 Like