how do I rid hum from a recording

Hi,

I have a clean intro monophonic guitar riff with two short hums in it. It’s not a technical problem with the pickups, but from not muting strings adequately while playing.

Obviously, I could do more takes, but I want to learn how to rid the hum with the right production tools.

Any help?

Thanks!!
Rob

www/soundcloud.com/rim-of-sky

Cubase 6, Native Instruments Komplete 7, Kore 2, ARP2600 V, Various Plugins, M-Audio 610 Profire Audio Interface - M-Audio Oxygen61 and AKAI MPK25 midi controllers, M-Audio BX8a Monitors, Windows Vista 64bit SP2, Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.67Ghz, 12GB RAM

Try a notch filter or eq

anything you do to it will always be second rate to recording it again correctly my friend. I never ever try to process unwanted noise out of my takes unless there is a) no way to record it again or b) it is burried far enough in the mix to help disguise the problem!

unless the hum is isolated between sounds you may be able to edit it out, otherwire I would re-record!

no amout of external processing will yeild 100% satisfaction!

Word…

but if you DO need to do stuff like this (for example if somebody hands you a recoding to work on that is contaminated in some way), i find melodyne dna very good. or if you prefer spectrum editing, izotope rx2 is excelent too.
ed

izotope rx2, parametric eq will do the trick

THANK YOU !!

www.soundcloud.com/rim-of-sky

Cubase 6, Native Instruments Komplete 7, Kore 2, ARP2600 V, Various Plugins, M-Audio 610 Profire Audio Interface - M-Audio Oxygen61 and AKAI MPK25 midi controllers, M-Audio BX8a Monitors, Windows Vista 64bit SP2, Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.67Ghz, 12GB RAM

here’s an example of what izotope rx can do; a little job fixing mobile phone interference on a video:

ed

• 1 for IZ RX!. :wink:

You could always embrace the noises as intentional, and maybe even add some more :wink:

Seriously, I once added a crackly record sample to an intro guitar track because it had so much noise and hum on it - it had to be entirely on it’s own, that was the only way…

Mike.

sing the words instead of humming? :wink: :laughing: