How do I use Logical Editor for Track Delay variables?

Here’s an example of what I’d like to do:

For tracks Piano R and Piano L, bars 1-50, make track delay = 102.13
For tracks Piano R and Piano L, bars 51-75, make track delay = 63.83
For tracks Piano R and Piano L, bars 76-150, make track delay = 102.13
For tracks Piano R and Piano L, bars 151-200, make track delay = 140.43

I have never used Logical Editor before, but understand from reading the manual that it uses the concept of Boolean alegbra, which I’m somewhat familiar with from years ago working with report-writer software in another field of work. I just can’t figure out from the manual how to apply a formula in that tiny black rectangle. I think what I need to tell it is:

IF (track name = Piano L or if track name = Piano R)
AND (bar range = 51 to 75) then track delay = 63.83
OR if (track name = Piano L or if track name = Piano R)
AND bar range = 151-200 then track delay = 140.43
ELSE track delay = 102.13

Is that the premise of what LE will allow me to do? How?

1 Like

Hi,

I’m afraid this is not possible. This woukd be an automation, in fact. I’m afraid this parameter is not automatible (if yes, use the automation, please) and this is not the way how does Logical Editor work. Logical Editor is more about to change or add a static values.

Well, the Project Logical Editor (N.B. not the Logical Editor, in this instance) can indeed move certain events, in taking account certain filter parameters, but it cannot move tracks, timewise, as such, only the actual events on them. And it can really only act upon one set of criteria at a time (i.e. conditions that are met in the Filter Target section, which, while that could apply to several events, could only have the same action applied to all of them).
So, firstly, you’d have split those events on those two tracks, in order to meet the required start and end positions, and also either select those two tracks manually (you can indeed select them By Name in the PLE, but that would have to be a separate PLE action), before then going on to tackle each of those four operations that you mentioned, separately.
I think that what I am saying is that, by the time you have set all that up, you could have already done it all manually, and moved on to the next song! :smiley:

But, yes, the Logical Editor (and Project Logical Editor) do work on simple Boolean logic, but, while that could be interpreted as “IF”, “THEN”, there is no “ELSE” (other than “Ignore” :wink: )

Thanks for your responses! I’m all for doing it manually - I just don’t know how. What do you mean by an event? I have also never used automation before. Is that the way to do it?

The example I gave is really just that… at this point I am not sure how many time I’ll really have to move the piano – it could be very few, could be only twice. I thought it would be a better opportunity to learn how to use LE if I had more than one operation, lol.

But here is the essence of my dilemma: it’s piano and strings. Some of the strings have slow attacks, some fast, in the same track. I’ve been dragging some of the notes forward so they don’t sound too behind the piano, and I’ve been doing all I can with the actual attack of the note, but have to be careful there. So right now, a negative track delay on the strings seems to work really well until halfway through the piece, and I realized my global change was useless.

So Vic, when you say manually, do you mean, just going into key edit and dragging the actual notes?

I would recommend to divide the Strings to the multiple tracks, and set the Delay Time relevant to the articulation on the track.

Thanks, Martin. Theoretically that would work, but I have 5 string voices from 3 libraries - 15 tracks, and estimating I’d be modifying the delay at least 6 times so i’d end up with 90 tracks. I think it’s easier for me to just play around with each note.

That wasn’t specifically the method I had in mind, but given your more detailed explanation of advancing the string notse that have slower attacks, then indeed, dragging the individual notes (and, if necessary controller data that is happening with them) is the method I would use myself… it is certainly the most “musical” way (you might find yourself wanting to fine-adjust a single note amongst them :wink: )… I think I use my ears more when I am editing than when I am actually playing! :wink:.
But in your original examples, I would simply split the Part into several, and either drag them, or edit their individual start positions via the Project window’s Info Line.

Just thinking aloud, but would groove quantize not be helpful here.

I’m not sure what that is… Can you tell me more about what you’re thinking?