How do I write this?

Hi, please help to understand - how do I write this in Dorico? If course force duration etc…But it still doesn’t work. I am getting a whole and then a half note instead of whole and two quarters C. Thank you for your help in advance. I did it faking a slur with S and editing it in engrave mode, but is there an official way to write it correct? Moving between galley and page view changes a correct placement again…

I am quite confident to say that, providing you have a quarter note rhythmic grid, pressing o, entering a whole note, then extending it it twice (alt-shift-right) should leave you with a whole note tied to two quarters. Note that in this kibd of tie chain every bit of it has to have force duration on.

Dear Marc, pressing o, entering a whole note, then extending it it twice (alt-shift-right) leaves me with whole note tide with a half note…Hm…But while using Force Duration I entered whole, quarter, quarter again, tied them and now it worked. Cannot explain why it didn’t work before…

The trick is to enter FIRST the quarter notes WITH force duration, and then the tie, makes all the difference.

1 Like
  1. Create the semibreve, tied to the first crotchet. (5-beats).
  2. Select that one length, and Force Duration.
  3. Now extend the duration.
3 Likes