How do the experts do it?

I tried that and it didn’t seem to work - but it did when I held the Command key so it looked like this (for a Playing technique filter)…Filter shortcut
However, I can’t seem to get the Filter-All dynamics to work - whether I use the shortcut like Ben’s or mine. The selection stays selected and nothing happens!
Filter dynamics
Even tried quitting and restarting Dorico.

Otherwise, thanks so much, Ben - a great set of shortcuts.

Hmm. Don’t know what’s happening there. I use Command F, D for All Dynamics without incident.
Screenshot

And Playing Techniques are also Command F, P.

Could it be that the problem is you’re trying to use the modifier for the second part of the key sequence? It should really be Cmd-F then P on its own, not Cmd-F followed by Cmd-P.

2 Likes

Ah yes - all sorted - my thanks to both of you!

These sequences seem to natural and an obvious extension to the clear well thought out system you guys did (thank you for that!), would it make sense to have them as default? I have to do art, music and programming every day, and the hardest part I swear is keeping the key commands straight. Dorico is probably the easiest. because of the logical consistency.

Blender (3D modeling program) uses the same paradigm of chained commands, and with a million shortcuts you need for fast modeling it’s a necessity.

Otherwise @benwiggy what ones do you use most frequently? You mention

• Filter
  • Duplicate staff above/below

And Leo

• Filters
  • Select more
  • link/group/align dynamics
  • Charge/merge voices
  • Explode/reduce
  • Duplicate/move to stave above/below
  • Accidental visibility
  • Custom text styles
  • Lengthen short/move by caret & rhythmic grid stuff
  • Mode switches
  • Engrave submodes
  • Hide invisibles
  • Signpost toggle
  • All popovers

Since Dorico commands/shortcuts are highly customizable, it is probably not in Dorico’s interest to make any individual’s approach the “default,” as you put it. Doubtless the development team has carefully considered how to make the program most convenient for a wide variety of users with a similarly wide variety of goals and ways to achieve them.

1 Like

Again for comparison, Blender has a system equally customizable, and further they provide several maps. Two notable ones,“Blender” (default) which is historical, and a little odd frankly, and “Industry Standard” which more closely aligns with other 3D apps (which we all use in our production toolchains). Visual Studio and Jetbrains (programming IDE’s) do the same.

I’m not suggesting Dorico go so far as to have sets (e.g. you could select “Sibelius/Finale/MuseScore compatible” - that would be going too far!), but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to default more commands perhaps. One advantage to doing this is that everybody has a common language, in ‘how-to’ videos, they all use some standard. There are a million Blender how to videos and they all continually call out the key commands, even for obscure operations.

Anyhow either way, just a thought.

We’ve been sharing our own shortcuts because they can be useful to some users depending on whether they need them, have the same keyboard layout, etc. I am not sure it would be a good idea to make them default ones, because they could interfere with other custom shortcuts (and it’s quite painful to sort this out when it happens). Everyone builds its own workflow and Dorico is recent enough for me to think the ideal workflow isn’t there yet, because there still are improvements to come. Which is great.

1 Like

Could there be merit in allowing the user to set up and store different ‘key command profiles’ they could then choose to suit their current task/setup ?

Well, you could always swap in and out different keycommands.json files.

I do agree that for teaching and learning; for general discussion; and for support: having a common set of keys for the most frequent tasks is imperative.

Just arguing for the sake of it, but I don’t see how Dorico is any different or special compared to these other such applications. IMHO, with 30 years of using these, profiles add more trouble than their worth. There’s such a thing as too much flexibility. In programming IDE’s it’s a mess, shortcuts are all over the place, and they offer the most flexibility with key command sets.

FWIW I think having a filled out base set establishes a baseline, and of course anybody can modify it from there. But for the rest of us who don’t want to muck with it (I don’t care - just give me a set that covers most of it) will just take the defaults.

1 Like

I have no objection to people customizing software such as Dorico in their own image, and I am not totally surprised (knowing human nature) that some folks don’t want to face the hassle of doing it themselves; but the idea that some want to sit back and expect the Dorico Team to remake the program (defaults) in their own image strikes me as just a little preposterous.

The Dorico Team has proved that they are quite capable of taking into account the needs (and compelling suggestions) of a wide variety of composers, arrangers, engravers, and educators and to craft a highly sophisticated and flexible product that still allows individuals to customize it further.

1 Like

What I do resembles what a lot of people do here. My setup is simple: two monitors, a truncated MIDI keyboard, a pretty standard ASIO card, NotePerformer and an 8-core machine. I use duration before pitch step time entry. I have some custom shortcuts for some filters, notes in chords selections, swap staves content, copying to staff below/above, note spacing, condensing changes, select to end and explode/reduce. I don’t have saved templates, I just cannibalize old files and remove their content. I’ve reduced mouse use considerably over the years which has increased my speed of execution. Filters are massively important to me.

I will often have a score in engrave mode on another window in the right hand monitor, or a pdf files that I have to work from. Two monitors has been a revelation to me when I switched a few years ago. All in all, I try to keep it dead simple. My area of work does not require perfect MIDI mock-ups and I do very little work to film.

2 Likes

Nobody is suggesting that AFAIK, I think you misunderstood the thread.

Again misunderstanding, I at least am suggesting from experience elsewhere that a common baseline creates a better community experience than otherwise. And yes for some people it’s more than hassle.

Anyhow I think this topic has gone off the deep end. Back to how the experts do it!

1 Like

Thank you so much for that! I didn’t know about sequential key shortcuts, but I think it’s going to keep me entertained for a few weekends. I just stopped creating new shortcuts a few weeks ago -and adding them to Macrodeck- because I didn’t have enough keys and memory :sweat_smile:.

The most useful keyboard shortcut I ever made was Ctrl+Option/n (Mac) for changing the Rhythmic Grid resolution.
Use it all the time!

1 Like

I love that one, but I’ve assigned it to 1 (get smaller) and 2 (get larger).

3 Likes

I assigned Control-n for direct selection of note values for the grid.
And I reversed the default Option-[ and ] so [ = shorter and ] = longer.

3 Likes

Same here. Much more logical for my brain.

1 Like

Thirded. (Although I’m on windows, so Ctrl.)

1 Like