How do you assign controls to the VST rack quick controls?

I’m trying to do something as simple as assign the EQ controls (loaded via Groove Agents internal mixer) to the VST rack quick controls but can’t figure out how…

I thought it was supposed to be something as simple as right click & link to quick knob but it’s clearly not.

Does anyone know how?

Hi,

To assign the Quick Control open the Quick Controls tab. Click to the L button to Learn. Select the Quick Control Slot (click into it) and move the virtual parameter you want to assign. Done.

Im not sure if you’re aware but there are 2 quick control sections. The ones you’re referring to are the track quick controls but if you go to the VST instruments rack, there are a separate set of quick controls. There is no Learn button for these.

If you right click on the Rack instrument. You should see remote Control editor at the bottom of the menu.

Open it.
The first 4 controls are the once you are seeing on the 4 knobs for the rack instrument.
So if you hit the learn function on this remote, you can open up the Groove Agent and assign the 4 controls you want.
Remeber to hit apply on the remote editor.

If you have QC setup for the mixer (not VST mixer) You can go to the QC on the midi track, use that funny arrow to select that you want QC from the plugin, And the remotes will sync.

It is a bit messy. Caus those 4 quick knobs on the rack instruments are part of the generic remote editor, wich is for the $$$$ controllers. The QC are not slaved to that generic remote editor. But you can dump settings from it to the QC. So your graphic syncs up. But for getting some QC for your mouse wheel, You need to use the generic remote editor to assign the 4 controls.

Thanks! That seems to work. Still have to fully understand it all but at least I’m in the right ballpark now.

Pity that it turns out that the majority of Groove Agent SE 4s controls aren’t assignable. From Filter cut off, sample start/end, amp envelopes, mixer EQ etc… none of it is assignable which is surprising seeing as I thought integration would be especially tight.

It is messy.

You have to right click on the function you want to control. Choose that you want to assign to new automation, if it dosent have control options.
Now you have 3 options.
-You can learn it to generic remote.
-you can right click again and you will see options of where you can assign the control too, just as on the once that are assigned.
-you can assign it to qc from qc.

Play abit around with it, and it will make logic in some strange way. Think everything can be assigned. I recall using some of the things you mention. You will get this working :slight_smile:

This was a very useful thread. Unfortunately I couldn’t make this feature work with the Steinberg’s VST Guitar AMP in Cubase 10.5. It looks as if Steinberg has decapitated the particular VST, or I just can’t find the VST controls for Cubase’s Guitar AMP.

Hi,

Do you mean VST Amp Rack? I can right-click the controller and choose the ‘Add “parameter name” to Quick Controls slot…’ pop-up menu entry here. Does this work for you? The Quick Controls Learn function also works for me here.

Thanks for your response. Yes, it is the VST Amp Rack. I currently don’t have a clue what you mean by “right-click the controller”, as well as where the “Quick Controls Learn function” is located. I’ll go back to the manual and experiment more…

Thank you.

Hi,

If I understand you right, you want to control one of the VST Amp Rack parameter from your hardware. I expect you assignment of your HW controllers to the Quick Controls is already done in Cubase > Studio > Studio Setup > Quick Controls.

Then open the plug-in and right-click to the VST Amp Rack parameter you want to control (for example Gain). From the dropdown menu choose Add “Gain” to Quick Controls Slot > Slot 1. Done.

The other way is to Open the Quick Controls tab in the Inspector. Click the L button (Learn Mode). Click the QC slot, where do you want to assign to. Move the parameter controller (for example Gain) on the plug-in. Disable the Learn Mode. Done.