How do you find your place after switching between Write and Engrave Mode?

This really won’t work for me, because when you scroll one window, the other stays where it was. So, again, you’d have to manually adjustment the position of each window separately as you advance in the work.

This should be a big priority. In the end stages of proofreading a big project, I need to move constantly between different views, modes, and layouts. As it is, whenever I switch back to full score, it jumps back to the very beginning of the project and then I need to scroll manually back to where I was – frustrating, to say the least, when I was working on page 74.

And since I prefer to write in galley view, but final editing is better in page view, there isn’t really a solution in global preferences. What I think everyone needs is for each view to remember where you were last time you left it.

If you start playback, all views will be synchronized. That’s one extra step (select a note, then press P twice), but maybe you will find that is an acceptable work-around for the time being.

1 Like

So, to summarize:
One user wants different views to always be synced, the other user wants different views to be indepentent of each other and never be synced.

No no no.
Literally ANY one of those solutions would be superior. Anything that is of consistent behavior would be superior.

Also, I think you didn’t understand @JDWpianist 's suggestion.

I use Write mode in Page View, and the transition to Engrave mode is seamless.

If I go from Page View to Galley View (all in Write mode), then the view doesn’t follow the selection. So it’s not so much the move to Engrave mode that’s the problem, as the shift between Galley and Page View, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Yeah, I use Dorico as designed: Write in galley view, and engrave in Page view.
Switching between Write-Mode (Galley) to Engrave-Mode (Page) is a nightmare.

Please see this other thread.

Thanks Daniel. I’ll check out the newly created thread.

However, have you seen the video at the top of this page (which I had posted in January)? It may prove helpful in understanding the broad scope of this issue.

Yes, I’ve seen your video. I believe it exhibits the same behaviours as the issue I’ve spent the day looking at today, and as such there’s reason to hope that those problematic behaviours will be a thing of the past in the next version of Dorico.

2 Likes

This is why I love bringing concerns to this forum! Let me be more specific about the issue I’m having, which is related to but distinct from the one that Daniel has been looking at and that @Michael_Seltenreich posted at the top of the thread.

I just finished a scholarly edition of a 30-minute double concerto from the late 18th century. The orchestra who commissioned it wants of course a score and parts, but also a piano reduction for the soloists to learn from. After finishing all of the layouts, I printed out a copy of the conducting score and piano reduction for final editing and am leafing through both side-by-side. I find an error in a dynamic marking late in the second movement, page 60-something of the conducting score. So I switch to page view (galley view is default), scroll to page 60-something, and fix the dynamic marking. It’s an editorial dynamic mark in parenthesis, so I select all the affected measures and propagate properties. Then I switch to the affected parts to make sure that it’s correct there, then to the piano reduction. They all start in galley view at the beginning of the project. I switch to page view and scroll to the page in question for each and every one. Then I continue looking at the printed out score, find an error in beaming 10 pages later, switch to the conducting score, and am shuttled again back to galley view at the very beginning of the project. Same issue when checking all of the parts.

I realize now that a workaround could be to simply change global preferences to page view while I’m doing final editing, but I don’t understand why the program doesn’t remember that I was in page view last time I visited the score. This works ideally, as many have noted, when switching between write mode and engrave mode if you are already in page view. But it gets lost when switching between layouts.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s true that Dorico doesn’t remember the layout aspect type that was last used when you viewed a particular layout: it always uses the default value from Preferences. I’m certainly not opposed to us changing this kind of behaviour, but it’s not completely clear to me how persistent it should be. Should Dorico remember the last-used view type just for the current session, or should it save it between sessions so that if you open the project again in a year’s time, those last positions will be persisted?

At least, for the same session, I guess it would make sense…

I agree that remembering for the current session would be enough. After all, there’s a reason for having a default preference to begin with, but when you’re in the thick of editing and proofreading, what’s important is to find your place quickly.

Do people use Galley View for Parts a lot? I would have thought that Galley View is useful for Note Entry in the Score, but a Part Layout is essentially something that is all about the disposition of the music on the page.

I tend to think of Galley View as a “non-Layout” view.

2 Likes

@JDWpianist is exactly describing my issue too. At least for the session the view should be remained, but I wouldn’t have a problem with it being persistent between saves too.
Usually one wants to work in one mode for some amount of time, and having to change once in 3 composing/editing is much easier than changing to page view every time I switch a layout.

IIRC the main reason I changed the setting to galley view as default because when switching between engrave mode and write mode, I would always come back to page view in write mode, which in the compositional stage I usually don’t want.

And here the dog‘s biting his own tail, as we say in Germany: this exact reason I set „galley view“ as default could have been avoided if Dorico would remember my preferred view for this layout in write mode. It’s exactly the same issue presented here, just from the opposite view.

I am happy if the setting is more a „start a new project in XXX view“, and from then just the last view per layout is remembered.

In this case, I would start my project in galley view (Full score, I agree with @benwiggy, I don’t use galley view for parts, but that’s another topic) for the compositional work. I switch between write and engrave, Bc in my music it’s often necessary, ideally the view would stick with the selected element when switching, and going back to write I am still in galley view, because I am still composing. This should stay on for multiple sessions, as long as I decide to switch to page view in write mode (for example for proof reading or implementing corrections). From then on, page view for this layout is retained, until changed back purposefully.

This - at least - would be ideal for me.

It’s interesting when I change layouts by using Counterpart Layout (w), the last-used view type(Galley or Page) for the Full score is retained.

view type change comparison

I agree with others. It’s good if Dorico remembers the last-used view type.

If I’m understanding what you are asking, benwiggy, I always create custom Layouts for composition. I’ll create one for Woodwinds, one for Brass, etc. I’ll create a working Layout called COMP to that I can assign on the fly whatever instrument combo I need at the moment. I’ll create part layouts for each flow, which makes it a quick drop-down selection to access whichever flow I want.

I have no particular need for layouts as Parts to give to performers. Since I use Layouts this way, I exclusively use Galley View for Layouts.

Clearly not everyone uses it like I do, but I bet I’m not the only one who uses Layouts as a sort of parts-visibility and navigation tool for composition.