How do you handle this?

Hello community and Devs! Working on a score reduction part for rehearsals. I have this issue that I don’t know how to solve in Dorico. The piece itself is a Trumpet concerto and there’s cadenza in the middle where the trumpet player plays on his/her own for many bars till the subito 2nd movement. Consequently, it makes no sense that all the tempo dynamics that are just for the trumpeter, should show on the pianist’s (or later orchestral players) parts.

In Sibelius I knew how to do it Hide/Show > Show in parts, but in Dorico I don’t have a clue and I’ve ran out of ideas on how to Google it… Thoughts?

Much obliged!
Cadenza.PNG

There’s no way to hide those markings in the other parts. Other users have requested that when a player has no more music before the end of the flow, it should be possible to show a tacet al fine and ignore all of those tempo changes etc., but at present there’s no option for this.

Rather than using tempo markings in the cadenza, use Shift-X text styled to look like tempo markings, attached to the trumpet staff.

Thank you Daniel, I can think of many, many cases (especially in contemporary music) where a lot of instructions don’t need to be seen by everyone, a cadenza being a good example. I actually came up with a solution in my sleep! I could just make two flows for this movement, one for the piano and one for the trumpet and delete them from individual parts… It just gets a bit messy though…

Hi Leo, yes that had crossed my mind, but is it possible to also have the dotted lines? The rits and accels are pretty specifically placed…

You could build custom playing techniques with appropriate lines, I think.
edit: scratch that - no dotted lines on Playing Techniques.

I like the idea of using Text. One could then make actual playback tempo alterations in Play mode itself.

Yeah, great idea!

This is actually pretty essential in some cases. I’ve experienced several times where monkeying with the tempo in Play mode actually erased tempo marks in the score. I understand why, of course, but it can be rather bothersome.

Arrgh! Yes, that happens to me all the time, playback editing should just be an override…!

If I decided to do this, i would select them and set their colour to 0. You have to do it manually in every part though because it does not propagate AFAIK. It will break multirests etc … but it does work.

However, I still prefer using text for this, as mentioned above. Often in these situations, I have seen tempo marks written non-bold italics on the solo part alone. I find it less cumbersome.

I tried it, but unfortunately it still hijacks the multirests…

System text will on occasion, but staff text won’t affect the other parts

Ah no, I was trying it with the normal tempo, because I need the dotted lines…

If you really need this, I would extract the trumpet part to a separate file.

What??? A Sibelius type workaround? No, no, no… That won’t do… :laughing:

I think this isn’t too much of an issue - you could do all of the other note entry/formatting work and then at the very end split it by making a duplicate copy of the file that deletes the tempo changes you don’t want. If you organize things well it really shouldn’t add any significant workload for you.

I’m sure they’ll have a feature added at some point that solves this particular problem.

Agreed, in fact the duplicate flow didn’t really add any real workload (duplicate flow > delete tempo markings > remove flows from layouts). The whole process took less than five minutes! The only issue is that now during playback, Dorico keeps playing the empty flow… Wish we could just completely remove a flow from playback.