How do you identify if a project is corrupted?

along with turning off ‘auto save’

Err… I was saying that if you had it switched ON then you would have a backup of the project from before it got corrupted that you would be able to open now.

Not sure how you read this & took from it that you should turn off auto save!

well…things are running better! the project has some kind of confusion, but it’s better. here are the adjustments that i’ve made that i believe have had a positive effect…and yes, they are all subjective and, except updating the plugins, may not be doing much, but i still believe…something positive:

• trashed all (old) preferences (C6, C5, CAI)
  • updated quicktime
  • turned ‘auto save’ off
  • updated 3rd party plugins (esp. soundtoys, which are much compatible now)

i would admit that the 3rd party plugins were the sole culprit if they were, but they’re not. even with all plugins completely disable (not just bypassed, turned off), i was having problems with one particular project. it is workable now. gonna have to freeze and unfreeze like crazy, and i hope soon, that a bunch of bouncing (ESP. tracks with many lanes?) will further alleviate, but there still is some inherent baggage or corruption or confusion with the project. it simply is struggling to process itself. something happened along the way. i have projects with much more going on that are running smoothly (NOW). it’s trying to find something that isn’t there or where it wants it to be, or something? maybe the bouncing?

at least i can breathe, and WORK!

Yeah, sorry, was projecting that idea onto/from you. I am very automatic myself with saving. And when before I something drastic I save a new version. I believe that it is a good thing to have disabled.

I use a MacBook Pro.
I found turning off AirPort made a noticeable improvement to stability.
I connect fulltime to the Internet by Ethernet.

What audio interface are you using?

Cubase is great for audio.

Best,
David

yes! i meant to include that on my list as well. seems to have a positive. in addition to that, like now, when i get off of the internet, i will turn the airport off, and then put the computer to sleep or restart it. the last part may be more of a ritual, so that i get up for a minute and convert my internet self into an music making self.

oh, and i had a filthy (mac screen) desktop, and cleaned that up too. read that osx regards each icon the same as an open window, and thus consumes a little memory. only 6 icons now.

mr816x

MMoorman I have been having all these issues too.
I too trashed my prefs - did do the slightest bit of good. Luckily I had saved them otherwise I would have been dead p****d off.
Memory could well have something to do with it but I run 64 bit and use 12 gig of memory so that can hardly be the case for me.
My experience tells me that it is all to do with 3rd party developers.
On many occasions I have had blank gui’s - or if the project is left unattended it freezes - or sometimes I might alter a setting in Amplitude 3 and that crashes Cubase.
Whenever I have had a seemingly corrupted project I have un-installed or moved the dlls of the most recent plugins added and have got my project back.
BFD2 has been a big offender - even in its new 64 bit guise.
I have had to experiment with jBridge, email developers and experiment with the plugs I use.
I am sure that I would not be having half the issues if I had opted for 32 bit. However BFD demands the sample space.
BFD has in fact had a conflict with the Red Wire mixIR. They could not work in the same project. Either on their own were fine.
If you have a problem Move the VST’s temporally and that will get the project loaded and then you can try removing the vst’s from the project to see where the problem lies. It might be an idea to save another version of the project to experiment upon.
It is frustrating but not necessarily the fault of Steinberg.

move out of the vst folder, or out from the channels?

I just make a new folder and transfer all the vst’s that I think may be the problem out of the Program Files > Steinberg > (Shared) vst folder - into the created folder. Cubase then cannot see them.
If you can’t get Cubase to load it is impossible to unload the vst’s from the channels.
You will put them back after the test.
Obviously you will get a lot of notifications of missing plugins.
If you track loads up normally start adding plugins back into the folder until the project does not load up.
Time consuming but useful!!!
Maybe start with all the 32 bit plugs if you use Cubase 64 bit.
Or the non jbridged stuff - if you use jbridge. If you don’t maybe you could try it.
Good luck.
I share the pain!

Possible, but also a frequent default answer from many software developers, et al to explain away something they simply haven’t experienced or reproduced. I wouldn’t go there just yet. It’s a little too easy to just throw darts at Microsoft.

unless you’re referring to a broader issue, i’m on a macbook pro

forum folks, thanks for all the ideas

But how would Cubase be to blame? It’s always easy to throw darts at the DAW. And mostly that just produces a noise and no solution.

And I see it’s now established that it’s a Macbook Pro.

not that it matters much, but it was established towards the beginning, and reiterated (the mac part, os, specs, etc.) a few times. peace